We understand that, for various reasons, you may need to change something to do with your studies.

If you want to make any kind of change to your academic studies it’s important that you let us know so we can support you, update your formal student records and can access the right resources.

Firstly, please discuss your options with your personal academic tutor - they can guide you through what you need to do, discuss any implications and support you through the process.

You should also talk to our student support, health and wellbeing advisers as they’ll help you understand any implications including finances.

Changing your mode of attendance allows you to move from full-time to part-time study or vice versa. Please note, there may be financial implications relating to your change.

If you want to change modules, it’s important that you check the deadlines to do this with your programme:

  • Any requests to change after the deadline date will only be considered in exceptional circumstances. Requests are reviewed individually by the programme director.
  • You’ll need to provide information relating to your exceptional circumstances in order for the request to be reviewed.
  • Even if your programme director agrees the request in principle, module changes also depend on student numbers, timetabling clashes, health and safety factors and curriculum requirements.

Please check with your programme director/school office whether modules changes can be made for your programme.

If you’re thinking of changing programme or pathway, please check whether there are any financial implications with a student support, health and wellbeing adviser.

If there’s a difference in tuition fees between programmes, the fees for the new programme are payable once your application for transfer is approved and your student record is updated.

Where a refund is due, it’ll be payable once the transfer is approved and your student record is updated.

If you’re transferring to the beginning of a new programme and you intend to apply for Student Finance funding, please check the maximum number of years for which you’ll be entitled to student funding. Depending on the date of your transfer, you may need to pay some or all of the tuition fee due for the original programme you were studying.

If you take a break from your studies (also known as an interruption), we hope you’ll return as soon as you’re ready.

An interruption is for a maximum of one calendar year or, exceptionally, to the start of one further academic year.

During interruption you’ll still be a registered student but some of your entitlements may change. For example, you won’t have the right to payment of any bursaries and loans. You’ll also still be subject to university requirements, including any disciplinary procedures.

While you’re away, we want you to access important information and support, so you’ll still be able to:

  • use the library
  • access your computing accounts
  • access any student support services
  • access all university systems and facilities except for supervision – if you’re a research student.

When you submit your request to interrupt, we’ll update your student records to show your interruption from the date you indicate on the form or if no date is added then the submission date of your request. This date will be used to work out your tuition fee liability and your student funding.

You’ll need to pay tuition fees for the academic year in which you return. Any fee will depend on your return date and it may be due even if you’re only returning to sit exams. Please ensure you fully understand the financial implications of your request before making your final decision.

Any funding support such as maintenance loans will stop while you’re taking a break. Student Finance will do an overpayment calculation and you may have to return part of the loan you’ve already received. If you’re interrupting due to compelling personal reasons, or you can’t support yourself and would be put in financial hardship by withdrawal of your maintenance loan, you can request that your funding continues for the rest of that academic year. Your circumstances and any evidence will be reviewed before a decision is made.

Important information for students on Tier 4 Visa system: if you take a break from your studies, you’re required by the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) service to return to your home country. If you remain within the United Kingdom during any break from your studies then we’re obliged to follow UKVI rules and reserve the right to refuse to issue a further Confirmation of Acceptance of Study when you plan to return to your studies.

Important information for students in university accommodation

If you are currently University named accommodation, please note the following

  • You must provide a letter from your academic department confirming your interruption. This must be given to the accommodation team. You can send this by email to accommodation@canterbury.ac.uk.
  • You will still have to pay rent due to date, plus 4 weeks rent after the date you notify the accommodation team (unless a replacement student can move in earlier)

You may incur a charge for room cleaning and/or damage if your room is left in an unacceptable condition.

If you’re thinking of leaving the University (also known as withdrawal), please discuss this with your programme team and/or a student support, health and wellbeing adviser. They may be able to help you find an alternative solution or support you with your next steps.

Important information for students in university accommodation

If you’re currently in university accommodation, you need to:

  • Provide the accommodation team with a letter from your academic department confirming your withdrawal and the date of withdrawal. You can email this to accommodation@canterbury.ac.uk.
  • Continue to pay rent due to date, plus four weeks rent after the date you notify the accommodation team (unless a replacement student can move in earlier).
  • Pay any charges for room cleaning and/or damage depending on the condition of your room.

Recognition of Achievement

If you leave us before completing your studies, we’ll recognise your achievement according to how far you’ve progressed.

If you successfully complete a stage or level of your programme, you’ll receive an Interim Award. For undergraduate study, this can be a Certificate or Diploma of Higher Education. For a Masters or Taught Doctorate, this can be a Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma.

We award Credit for all modules you passed. This can include Credit additional to an award. This means you might get both an award and extra Credits.

You’ll receive a transcript setting out any Interim Award and all Credit you’ve achieved. You can use this transcript as evidence of your achievement if you transfer to a course at another institution and you can use it to apply for professional exemption.

All University Interim Awards and Award of Credit align with the UK’s Framework for Higher Education Qualifications and the Higher Education Credit Framework for England. So, if you apply to another institution, they’ll understand how much study you undertook, the level you studied and the range of skills achieved. They’ll use this information to decide how much exemption you receive.

We’re happy to confirm details of the course you studied to other institutions and employers on request.click here for more information or contact our i-zone.



How to make Changes to study - key steps

Visit the student website and click on the “Changes to Study tile”. You’ll be asked to complete a number of fields so please have all your information to hand.

  • Once you have submitted your request, you’ll receive an automatic email to let you know that your request has been submitted.
  • You’ll then receive the following communications from your school while your request is being processed:
    • One email to let you know that your request has been approved or rejected (this should be approximately 5 working days after your request has been submitted).
    • If approved, an email to let you know your timetable has been updated to reflect the change - this will be visible within 48 hours (this should be expected approximately 15 working days after your request has been submitted). At busy times, especially October, the second email may take a little longer.

Please note: If you haven’t heard anything within 7 working days, please contact your programme administrator.