At Christ Church, we believe all students have the right to live and study in a safe and supportive environment.

Your safety, both on and off campus, is important to us and we work with a range of partners, including Canterbury City Council, Medway Council, Kent Police and the Students’ Union, to support you.

As a community, we expect respect and do not tolerate discrimination, bullying or harassment of any form. 

Your first port of call if you have any safety concerns is our friendly campus Security team. They’re on duty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year if you have an emergency or any questions. For your peace of mind and wellbeing, our Security team is fully qualified in first aid, along with fire safety training to support the safe evacuation of buildings when a fire alarm has been activated.

SafeZone is your free safety app while at Christ Church. You can use it to alert the Security team via your mobile phone if you need urgent assistance, first aid or if you have an emergency on campus.

The system is privacy protected, so it’ll never share your location unless you request assistance or use the check-in function. This also means the app won’t drain your mobile phone battery.

SafeZone has three main buttons for requesting security assistance:

  • first aid
  • enquiries
  • emergency.

Don’t worry if you press a button in error, you can easily cancel the alert by tapping the button again while the timer’s winding down.

The check-in function allows you to let Security know where you are if you’re working alone or outside of normal working hours.

You also have the ability to report any issues anonymously (such as noisy parties in accommodation) or suspicious behaviour on campus. 

SafeZone is simple –to use and free to download:

Once you’ve downloaded the SafeZone app, you need to sign up using your university email.

Together working with University of Kent and the Students’ Unions we have identified connected routes in Canterbury city centre which are well lit or covered by CCTV for students to use.

These connected routes are now covered by the SafeZone App which means students on a connected route can if they are feeling concerned or unsafe activate the App to get remote support from either the UofK or CCCU security.

In addition, as part of the connected routes 12 locations have been identified as safety refuge points where students can request help and advice if they are feeling unsafe or in danger.

In partnership with the University of Kent, we have the Canterbury Street Marshals, who are here to help you get home safely on your nights out.

The Street Marshals cover key areas across Canterbury, including:

  • St Michael’s area
    Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 23:00 – 04:00
  • Club Chemistry and Wincheap
    Wednesday and Friday, 23:00 – 05:00
  • Sturry Road and Northgate
    Wednesday and Friday, 23:00 – 05:00

Zero Tolerance is an accreditation scheme that many night-time premises in Canterbury, including our Students’ Union ‘The Lounge’, have joined, to show they have a zero tolerance to sexual harassment.

Staff at these premises have had training in how to tackle harassment and unacceptable behaviour. They also operate the Ask Angela scheme, which encourages people to discreetly ask for help by going to the bar to 'Ask for Angela' - a phrase aimed at asking bar staff for help with defusing a situation.

Read more about the Zero Tolerance scheme.

The Safe Taxi scheme can help you if you feel vulnerable and need to quickly and safely reach your accommodation in Canterbury or another destination, such as a police station or local hospital.

By registering for the scheme, you can request a taxi from Longleys Private Hire, even if you don’t have the funds to pay the fare at the time of booking. You just settle the fare within seven days using the CCCU online store.

It’s free, quick and simple to sign up to the scheme and you’ll have peace of mind knowing that if you’re in an emergency situation you’re covered. Register now for the Safe Taxi scheme.

We have Social Media Guidelines to help protect and support students who contribute to and engage with social media.

While we do everything we can to protect your data and university systems, it’s important to remember that cybersecurity is everyone’s responsibility. You should never share your password with anyone, and if you have any concerns that an email may be suspicious, please report it to the i-zone.

Click here for further information. 


f you’ve been the victim of a crime, or think you’ve witnessed one, you should report it to the police straight away. Your information could be used to prevent other crimes and help keep other people safe.

In an emergency always dial 999.

If you’d like support in reporting a crime to the police, you can contact the University’s Community Liaison Manager at

We appreciated that being a witness or victim of crime can be distressing and our Student Wellbeing Services are here to support you.

Other national and local charities can also support you:

  • Victim Support - a charity dedicated to supporting people affected by crime and traumatic incidents in England and Wales.
  • East Kent Rape Crisis Centre - a charity providing a safe space to everyone affected by any kind of sexual violence or coercion experienced at any time during their lives.
  • Rising Sun - a local charity supporting those affected by domestic violence.

If on campus you can report to the University Security on 01227 922355 or via the Safezone App. 

If you want to report a minor crime, such as a stolen mobile phone, you should go to your nearest police station or call 101.

Go to for further information.

If you’d like support in reporting a crime to the police, you can contact the University’s Community Liaison Manager at

We believe that sexual violence, sexual harassment, relationship abuse, racism, bullying, harassment and hate crime are never OK. We want you to feel confident that any reports of incidents at Christ Church will be taken seriously.

If you’ve witnessed or experienced bullying or harassment, including online, we’re here to support you. All staff, students and visitors to our campus can report something either anonymously or with contact details on the online Report and Support tool. If you provide your name, one of our advisers will be in contact within three working days.  Reports can be about an individual, a group of people, or cultures.

There is no specific intelligence to say universities are being targeted and the chances of being caught up in a terrorist incident or weapons attacks are still low. But sadly we have seen lethal assaults carried out by people with a variety of deadly motives. So it is important everyone stays alert and knows what to do if the worst was to happen.

We recommend that you follow the simple Counter Terrorism Policing advice of run, hide and tell.

  • Run to a place of safety. This is a far better option than to surrender or negotiate. If there’s nowhere to go, then...
  • Hide - It’s better to hide than to confront. Remember to turn your phone to silent and turn off vibrate. Barricade yourself in if you can. Then finally and only when it is safe to do so...
  • Tell the police by calling 999.

I am proud to say I am part of the night security team. In a nutshell….We are the first port of call in any and every eventuality whilst the rest of the University sleeps. We also ensure your safety and well-being whilst in our accommodation. Whether you need a helping hand after a night on the town, a simple sticky plaster, or someone to talk to when you’re just not feeling ok, we are always here and happy to listen. If you’ve flooded your bathroom, triggered the fire alarm, locked yourself out, or your tv’s broken, pop in and see the night security team. We will do our best to advise, support, help or signpost. I love my job, simply because every year, we make a difference to student’s lives.

Kik JanesSecurity Caretaker