We want you to stay safe and well and to know where to go for support when you need it.

If, like most students, you spend more weeks of the year at your university address than your family’s address, you need to register with a GP near to you.

Please follow the latest government advice and guidelines.

As we learn to live safely with COVID, our priority remains the health and wellbeing of our students and staff.  While legal restrictions may be coming to an end, we are encouraging students to continue to consider others and act responsibly to protect the welfare of our Christ Church and wider community. 

  • If you have symptoms of a respiratory infection, such as COVID-19, and you have a high temperature or do not feel well enough to carry out normal activities, it is recommended that you stay at home, do not come to campus, and avoid contact with other people, until you no longer have a high temperature (if you had one) or until you no longer feel unwell.
  • Regularly wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water, or use the hand sanitiser dispensers located throughout campus
  • Use cleaning wipes to clean your working area and equipment before and after use
  • Consider wearing a face covering in enclosed busy areas
  • Plenty of fresh air helps to reduce transmission of airborne illnesses – open windows where you can and consider bringing extra layers of warm clothing to wear so windows can stay open as much as possible.

What to do if you receive a positive COVID-19 test

If you receive a positive COVID-19 test result, it is recommended that you stay at home and avoid contact with other people for 5 days after you took your test – many people with COVID-19 will no longer be infectious to others after 5 days.

As with any other illness let your course team or placement provider know so they can support you.

There are a range of online study resources you can access if you have to study from home including your digital library and the Learning Skills Hub.

Monkeypox is a rare infectious disease, but there are a number of cases in the UK. That number is rising.

Monkeypox is a viral infection usually associated with travel to West Africa. It is usually a mild self-limiting illness, spread by very close contact with someone with monkeypox and most people recover within a few weeks.

The virus can spread if there is close contact between people and the risk to the UK population is low. However, recent cases are predominantly in gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men and as the virus spreads through close contact, we are advising these groups to be alert to any unusual rashes or lesions on any part of their body, especially their genitalia, and to contact a sexual health service if they have concerns.


  • Unusual rashes or lesions on the body such as the face or genital area
  • Fever
  • Muscle aches
  • Chills and exhaustion
  • Headaches
  • Swollen lymph nodes

If you think you have monkeypox symptoms – however mild:

  • Contact NHS 111 or call a sexual health clinic immediately. Your call will be treated sensitively and confidentially.
  • Avoid close personal or sexual contact with others until you know that this is not monkeypox.

Please contact clinics ahead of your visit and avoid close contact with others until you have been seen by a clinician. Your call or discussion will be treated sensitively and confidentially.


Students can be at a higher risk of infection because they tend to live in close contact in shared accommodation, such as university halls of residence.

It’s a good idea to understand the symptoms of meningitis, mumps or glandular fever via the NHS website  so you know when you might need further medical help.

If you’re under 25 and haven’t had your Men ACWY vaccine, we recommend you contact your GP and ask for the vaccine.

Sexual health is the ability to enjoy and express your sexuality and to do so free from risk of sexually transmitted diseases, unwanted pregnancy, coercion, violence and discrimination.

There are a range of free and confidential sexual health services available in Kent and Medway regardless of your age, gender or sexual orientation. Clinics offer free help with contraception and contraceptive advice; testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections and general sexual health advice.

  • Gate clinic (Canterbury) provides sexual health screening by appointment only. To book contact 0300 790 0245 (within working hours).
  • Clover Street (Medway) provides sexual health screening by appointment only. To book contact 0300 123 1678 (within working hours).
  • National Sexual Health Helpline can be contacted on 0300 123 7123 for medical or sexual health advice provided by The Department of Health and Social Care.
  • Metro Sexual Health provides advocacy and advice. You can also request free condoms and other contraception.
  • Online STI testing service is a service through which you can order a screening kit to be sent to your UK address.

Check out the Students’ Union information about consent which covers what consent is, sexual health, contraception and healthy relationships.

If you have witnessed, been impacted by or experienced sexual violence, sexual harassment or relationship abuse we are here to support you.

  • In an emergency - if you are in immediate danger or need to report a crime you should always call 999.
  • If it is not an emergency, you can contact University Security on 01227 782111 or through the Safezone App. 
  • All students can report an incident with contact details to receive confidential advice via our online report+support or they can report anonymously to help raise awareness of any issues affecting our students.  
  • Through a partnership with both East Kent Rape Crisis Centre and Rising Sun Domestic Violence and Abuse Service we can offer specialist support for survivors of sexual violence or domestic abuse. Email report.support@canterbury.ac.uk for more information – all contact will remain confidential.

It’s important to be aware of the dangers around drug and alcohol misuse and where to find advice if you need help. There is the following support:


We want to make it clear that spiking is never the fault of the victim, it is always the fault of the perpetrator. Drink spiking is a criminal offence, and we are committed to working together to keep our students safe. We take reports of spiking very seriously and provide support for any students who have witnessed or experienced spiking. 

If you have been affected by spiking recently or in the past you can access confidential support through Report and Support.

To find out more about drink spiking visit the Drinkaware website. 



To be exempt from NHS charges, UK students who are 19 and over (full or part-time) must fill in an HC1 form. If you’re under 19 you need to prove your age and student status. Read about and access the NHS HC1 form.

If you need regular prescription items, consider registering for the electronic repeat dispensing service (ERD), as you’ll be able to collect from any pharmacy you nominate. This can be easily changed if you’re at home or at university when you need a further supply.

If you need first aid assistance, contact our Security team on 01227 922111.

You can also request their support via the Safezone App. SafeZone is your free safety app while at Christ Church. The app allows you to alert the security team via your mobile phone. if you ever need urgent assistance, first aid, or if you have an emergency on campus.

If you need to see a dentist, visit NHS Services where you can search for local dental practices.

For emergency dental support, contact Kent Dentaline on 01634 890300. Their normal opening hours are every evening 7pm-10.30pm plus weekends and bank holiday mornings 9.30am to 11am.

If you need assistance out-of-hours, first contact your surgery who’ll provide you with a recorded message and contact options for you to ring.

NHS 111 also provides out-of-hours medical services when your GP surgery is closed.

Please contact 999 to call an ambulance if it is a medical emergency. 

If you’re phoning from campus, please inform Security on 01227 922111 so they can direct the emergency services to you. 

Back to

In this section

Related links