We aim to provide an excellent education and outstanding student experience and take any issues seriously. If you ever have any concerns or a complaint we want to work with you to find a resolution. 


We define a complaint as an expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by or on behalf of the University.

A complaint can concern the provision of a course, an academic or support service, or the quality of other aspects of student life.

Our aim is to reach a resolution quickly.

A student can complain without fear of disadvantage. We also respect a student’s privacy and confidentiality.

We try to respond quickly to a complaint through early resolution. We explain this below. This is an important part of the way we seek to resolve complaints.


Our Student Complaints Procedure enables students to raise matters of concern. This can be done as an individual or as a group.

This procedure is open to any current student, enrolled on a course or interrupted/suspended from study. Students whose study has ended can use this procedure for up to twenty working days after the end of their studies.

There is a separate procedure for complaints about admissions, even if you are a student wanting to start a new course. You should contact the Director of Admissions (admissions@canterbury.ac.uk).

If we received an anonymous complaint, we will investigate it. However, we will not be able to make a response.

There is a separate procedure for appeals. We use this procedure if the focus of the concern is decision-making relating to your academic progression, assessment or award.

You can find out about the Appeals Procedure using this link.

If you are a student at one of our partner institutions, we have a different arrangement. You make your complaint to the college or organisation where you are studying.

Our partner will investigate your complaint. If we need to investigate something, the partner will ask you to agree to this.

Read more about the complaints procedure for students at partner institutions. 

Complaints relating to a placement may be better resolved within the workplace if related to the working practices where you are undertaking the placement. This is because the placement provider may need to resolve the matter in the workplace.

You use the complaints procedure of the placement provider. You should raise the matter with the relevant supervisor or manager in the workplace.

This includes employment matters, for example, bullying and harassment, and the support agreed between you and your employer.

If your complaint relates to a specific concern about the provision of your course you can follow our Complaints Procedure.

This page summarises the main points of the complaints procedure.

You can read the full University Student Complaints Procedure, using this link. This explains how we seek to resolve complaints.

If you have a query about the Complaints procedures, or wish to discuss any aspect of it, please contact the Academic Support Office.

You can do this by emailing student.procedures@canterbury.ac.uk

We find early resolution addresses most complaints. This is because we can usually resolve a problem at the level of immediate contact. This is why we use an early resolution approach.

If you have a problem, you should use early resolution before making a formal complaint. You can do this with either the member of staff concerned or that person’s immediate supervisor or manager. You should do this within twenty working days of becoming aware of the problem.

You might like help in making a complaint. You might like help identifying the appropriate member of staff to approach to seek early resolution.

You can get this help from the Students’ Union. You can click on the link to read the Students' Union guidance on Student Complaints. For any advice contact the Students’ Union Advice Caseworker ellie.martin@ccsu.co.uk.

You can also get help from the University’s Department of Student Wellbeing Services. You can contact them at studentwellbeing@canterbury.ac.uk.

If you agree in writing, you can ask the Students’ Union or Student Support to act on your behalf.

Sometimes early resolution does not solve the problem. If you cannot resolve the complaint through early resolution, you can ask for a formal investigation.

You can do this by writing to the Student Procedures Office. We have a form to help you provide the information we need to investigate your complaint. You can download the complaints form, using this link.

We ask you to explain:

a. your specific concern.

b. what happened in using early resolution and why it was unsuccessful.

c. the outcome you are looking for. However, it is important to note the eventual outcome may be different from the one sought.

You need to submit your formal complaint within twenty working days of the end of seeking early resolution. If we receive a complaint more than twenty working days after the attempt at early resolution, the Investigator will take this into consideration.

You send the complaints form to student.procedures@canterbury.ac.uk

We are a member of the Independent Adjudication for Higher Education (OIA) Scheme. Following completion of our procedures, you can ask the OIA to review your complaint.

We will tell you the next stage of the process at each point. We will tell you when you have completed all the stages. After the last stage, we provide you with a Completion of Procedures letter.

When you complete our procedures, we will tell you how you take your complaint to the OIA. The OIA will want to see your Completion of Procedures letter. If you do not complete our procedures, the OIA may not investigate your complaint.

The Independent Adjudication for Higher Education website explains its rules.

The OIA Scheme does not apply to admissions complaints.

Other complaints

If your complaint concerns an accommodation matter, you need to use the accommodation complaints process. You make your complaint to the Accommodation Office via accommodation@canterbury.ac.uk.

If you’ve witnessed or experienced bullying or harassment, including online, we’re here to support you.  It may be that you want to make a complaint about a member of staff or another student. You can report something either anonymously or with contact details via our online Report+Support tool.

If you have an issue with a flatmate, neighbour or landlord before it gets to the complaint stage you may wish to consider the Student Mediation Service as a positive way to find solutions and resolve disputes