How can LTE help me/my team to develop Compassionate Pedagogy in our modules and courses?
LTE offers a workshop on themes discussed in this guide; we will adjust the workshop to your course team’s priorities for groups of five-or-more staff. Please contact us to express interest in the workshop on LTE-ADMIN@canterbury.ac.uk
Themes addressed could include but are not limited to:
- developing academic resilience and growth mindset
- embedding wellbeing in the content and processes of your curriculum
- effective assessment and feedback design for learning and wellbeing
- incorporating mindfulness into support of learning
The following useful readings are available to staff and students in CCCU's libraries:
- Colaianne, B.A., Galla, B.M. and Roeser, R.W. (2020). Perceptions of mindful teaching are associated with longitudinal change in adolescents’ mindfulness and compassion. International Journal of Behavioral Development, [online] 44(1), pp.41–50.
- Dachyshyn, D.M. (2015). Being mindful, heartful, and ecological in early years care and education. Contemporary Issues in Early Childhood, 16(1), pp.32–41.
- Devis-Rozental, C. and Clarke, S. (2020). Humanising higher education : a positive approach to enhancing wellbeing. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Freire, P. (1990). Pedagogy of the oppressed. New York: Continuum.
- Germer, C.K. (2009). The mindful path to self-compassion : freeing yourself from destructive thoughts and emotions. New York: Guilford Press.
- Gibbs, P. (2017). The Pedagogy of Compassion at the Heart of Higher Education. Cham Springer International Publishing.
- Gilbert, P. and Choden (2015). Mindful compassion: using the power of mindfulness and compassion to transform our lives. London: Robinson.
- Gilbert, T. (2016). Assess compassion in Higher Education? Why and how would we do that? LINK 2016, 2:1. University of Hertfordshire.
- Hao, R.N. (2011). Critical compassionate pedagogy and the teacher’s role in first-generation student success. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 2011(127), pp.91–98.
- Schussler, D.L. (2020). “Mindful teaching”: a construct for developing awareness and compassion. Reflective Practice, pp.1–13.
- Schwind, J.K., McCay, E., Beanlands, H., Schindel Martin, L., Martin, J. and Binder, M. (2017). Mindfulness practice as a teaching-learning strategy in higher education: A qualitative exploratory pilot study. Nurse Education Today, 50, pp.92–96.
- Vidette Todaro-Franceschi (2013). Compassion fatigue and burnout in nursing: enhancing professional quality of life. New York: Springer Pub.