Short-term study and other visas

Short-term Study Visas are available for students who are undertaking courses lasting less than six months, or on English Language only courses for up to eleven months (the Extended Short-term Study Visa).

In certain situations, a short-term study visa is appropriate if you need to return to the UK in order to complete your course, and will need less than six months to do this (for example to retake exams), or if you are visiting the UK for a short period as part of a degree through the distance learning route.

Students coming to study a full-time degree level (or above) course with Canterbury Christ Church University will in nearly all cases need to apply for a Tier 4 visa. This also applies to students who are coming to study a pre-sessional course.

View information on Applying for Tier 4 visas outside the UK

View information on Applying for Tier 4 visas in the UK

Students in possession of Short-term study visas are not permitted to do any work in the UK, even if it is unpaid work that is part of their course. They are not able to extend their visa or switch to another category from within the UK.

Please contact the International Admissions Team, if you are uncertain whether you need a Tier 4 or Short-term study visa.

Applying for a short-term study visa

The UK Government’s website has more information about how to apply for a Short-term study visa.

Nationals of certain countries (known as ‘non-visa nationals’) do not need to apply for a Short-term study visa before they travel, and can request one on arrival at the airport.

View Immigration Rules to see a list of visa national countries (countries where you must apply from your home country).

If you are a non-visa national, when arriving at the airport you must explicitly tell the UK Border Force that you wish to enter the UK as a short-term student. If you do not, you may be granted short-term visitor (non-student) leave and you will not be able to enrol with the university to begin your course. You would have to exit the UK and return in order to gain Short-term student clearance.

When you speak with the Border Force officer and tell them that you wish to enter as a short-term student, you will need to present them with your unconditional offer letter from the university as evidence that you have been accepted on a valid course, as well as financial evidence to show that you have the funds required to live in the UK. There is no guidance as to the amount of money you must possess, but we would advise that you show the equivalent of £1015.00 per month that you will be in the UK.

If you are from a country on the visa national list (or if you are a non-visa national and you are studying an English language course lasting over six months), you will need to apply for your Short-term study visa from outside the UK before you travel. You may make the application from any country where you are legally resident, even if this is not the country of which you are a national.

You will need to provide documents in support of your application, view more about the requirements and the documents you will need, on the Government’s website. There is also useful information for short-term students on the UKCISA website.

Schengen visas

If you are a non-EEA citizen studying in the UK under Tier 4 and you decide to travel to Europe for study or pleasure, you may need to apply for a Schengen visa to do so. This only applies to nationals from certain countries, so it is important to check whether you will need to do this.

Read more about Schengen visas and how to apply for one.  

Contact us


Connect with us

Last edited: 15/12/2018 20:19:00