Higher and degree apprenticeships offer an alternative route to higher education for both school leavers and those already established in their careers. You gain a university level qualification whilst also working full-time.

Degree apprenticeships include the award of a full first-degree or a masters degree. Higher apprenticeships are a university level qualification but don’t include a full degree award.

Apprentices spend 80% of their time working and undertaking on-the-job training and the remaining 20% is spent attending university or another training provider. They are paid a salary and 100% of your tuition fees are paid for by your employer (sometimes with government support).

Our higher and degree apprenticeships cover a range of qualifications up to master’s level and many are also accredited by professional bodies.

Apprenticeship or traditional university study?

A university qualification opens many doors to exciting new careers and opportunities for personal and professional growth. Higher and degree Apprenticeships offer an alternative route to higher education for both school leavers and people already established in their careers. Apprentices work full-time while also studying at university during the normal working day.

The benefits of higher or degree apprenticeships

  • You achieve a university level qualification while working.
  • You will have the opportunity to earn while you learn and your tuition fees will be covered by your employer.
  • You will be entitled to the same benefits as everyone else in the workplace, including tax credits and paid holiday.
  • You will learn at a pace suited to you with the support of an experienced mentor.
  • You will receive excellent progression opportunities, whether looking to study further or climb the ranks within your workplace.

The benefits of the traditional university route

  • While studying for your degree, you will gain many transferable skills highly sought after by employers and businesses. This is great if you aren’t sure about your career path just yet or are even thinking of setting up your own businesses (like many of our graduates).
  • You won’t be combining a full-time job with studying so you will be able to participate fully in student life, making new friends and joining a diverse community of academics and students.
  • The university experience can help you develop independence and critical thinking skills, through self-directed study and immersion in an academic environment
  • Many degrees have the option of a work placement allowing you to gain valuable work experience while at university.

The availability of higher and degree apprenticeships for new employees can be limited.

How to apply

Apprenticeship courses are delivered through employers who are supporting their employees to take up an apprenticeship. This means that students can’t apply directly in the same way they would for a traditional university course.

To be offered a place on one of our degree and higher apprenticeship programmes, you first need a relevant job with an employer who will support you in undertaking an apprenticeship.

The best way to start an apprenticeship is to find employers with apprenticeship opportunities. You can search for apprenticeship vacancies on the National Apprenticeship Service website.

Many employers advertise their apprenticeship vacancies on their websites and you can view the organisations we are currently working with.

Associated partners

Carebridge
The Graham Care Group
The Huntercombe Group
Medway Council
NHS
Pilgrims Hospices
The Royal Naval Benevolent Trust
Strode Park Foundation