Dyslexia Support

Whether you think you may have dyslexia, have a formal diagnosis, or are looking for further information, the Student Disability Service is here to help.

Finding out if you are dyslexic:

Dyslexia is a specific learning difference which affects literary skills and information processing. It is often associated with difficulties with spelling and punctuation, but it also affects organisation and concentration among other characteristics. Dyslexia often runs in families and is a life-long condition. However, people with dyslexia do tend to be creative problem solvers and there is no reason to think a dyslexic diagnosis will prevent someone studying at degree or postgraduate level.

If you do not have a formal diagnosis/diagnostic assessment:

You may have had support for dyslexia at school or college. In order to obtain all the support you may be entitled to, you need to have an assessment carried out by a specialist assessor or educational psychologist. This will be a long document outlining the strengths and weaknesses in your learning profile. If you are unsure if the evidence you have is a full assessment we would be happy to advise you.

  • If you suspect you have dyslexia or have been screened before then please do register with us and complete our screening form. This is not a diagnosis, but provides a guide so we can recommend your next steps.
  • If you are recommended to get an assessment based on your answers you are eligible to apply for help with funding. Dyslexia assessments usually cost between £350 - £450. You can apply for £200 toward the cost of testing through our Access to Learning Fund.
  • To find an assessor please create an account with PATOSS (The professional association of teachers of students with specific learning difficulties). Enter your postcode and use the Assessor index. You will be provided with a list of assessors and we’d recommend you make contact to check availability and prices.

If you already have a diagnostic assessment:

  • Register with Us 
    Please register with us then email your evidence to disability@canterbury.ac.uk. A Disability Adviser can meet you and write you a Learning Support Plan. We are happy to do appointment by phone, Skype or in person.
  • Apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).
    Please don’t wait to see an Adviser.We recommend that you apply for DSA, please log onto your SFE student portal and apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). You will need to complete a DSA form and email your evidence to the DSA Team dsa_medical_evidence@slc.co.uk You can watch this short video for more information. If you are a part time student, not in receipt of a student loan, or postgraduate you need to complete the Long From
  • Sign up for a Dyslexia Induction 
    Our internal dyslexia tutor, Kim Rocks, can offer you a 1-2-1 dyslexia induction appointment to discuss your strengths and to share some resources that you may find beneficial. If you would like to book an induction, please email her directly – kim.rocks@canterbury.ac.uk

Further Information

If you would like any other information about how the University supports dyslexic students please get in touch with one of the Student Disability Advisers in the Student Disability Service by emailing disability@canterbury.ac.uk. We have a weekly drop-in on Thursday afternoons (13:00 – 15:00). Do feel free to come and speak to us. We can advise you of other sources of support, information and guidance, including help with developing your academic skills.

Other sources of free information and support include the British Dyslexia AssociationDyslexia Action, and the NHS.

Contact us


Connect with us

Last edited: 27/03/2020 14:29:00