If you don’t have access to your own laptop or PC, you can make use of our free iBorrow scheme.
iBorrows are small, lightweight laptops that have the same full suite of software as the University PCs, and are ideal if you prefer to find your own space to work, working in a more relaxed way, or need a laptop to use in a group study room.
There are two iBorrow options available to you. Most iBorrows can only be used within the building they’re borrowed from. They work over the wireless network (and are electronically tagged) so they can’t be taken outside. Alternatively, we have 10 iBorrows that can be borrowed from the Library Point in Augustine House, that can be used outside the University buildings.
Using iBorrows on campus
iBorrows are available in Canterbury at Augustine House (200 available), the St George’s Student Centre (10), Salomons Institute Library (16) and Rowan Williams in Medway (10).
In Augustine House and Salomons Library, iBorrows are stored in clearly marked storage and charging cabinets on each floor. Simply take one from the cabinet and use it. The battery usually lasts 4-6 hours. When you’re done return it to the cabinet and connect it to re-charge ready for the next user.
In the St George’s Centre and Medway campus they can be collected from the reception desks.
Using the iBorrow loan service
There are 10 iBorrows available to loan for personal CCCU student use, only from the Library Point in Augustine House.
- You will need your smartcard and have no outstanding fines or blocks on your library account to be able to use this service.
- You can borrow an iBorrow for 24 hours from the Library Point in Augustine House during staffed hours. Only 1 iBorrow can be issued per student.
- It is issued with a carry-case, power supply and cable, a USB mouse and an information sheet. You will be responsible for all the items loaned.
- This loan is additional to your overall loan allowance, e.g. if your loan allowance is 20 items, it would be 20 books plus 1 iBorrow.
- iBorrows are not reservable.
- iBorrows can be returned at the Library Point during staffed hours only.
- iBorrows cannot be returned via the self-service machines or returns chute. You will be liable for any loss or damage caused by not returning them at the Library Point.
- The iBorrow will not be automatically renewed at the end of the loan period so it must be returned. If you don’t return the laptop and its accessories by its due date, there will be a fine of £5 per day or part of a day.
- The maximum fine per laptop is £70. If you fail to return the laptop and its accessories within 14 days after the due date, you will be charged a replacement fee of £600.
- Where appropriate, an appeal against a fine may be made using the Library Fine Appeal procedure.
- You can use the iBorrow in Augustine House, on campus or home. It will be for your personal use only, and you cannot borrow it on behalf of a friend, or use it for work which is not educational or personal in nature.
- You will need to login to the laptop and allow OneDrive to synchronize before removing it from Augustine House. Right click on the blue cloud in the bottom right hand corner to check that everything has synchronised. You can then log off and take the laptop home.
- Borrowable Laptops automatically connect to the Eduroam Wi-Fi network when in a CCCU campus building. When you take the laptop home you will be able to connect it to your own broadband service.
- Software available includes:
- Microsoft Office 365 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook),
- Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer.
- Write and Cite
- VLC Player
- To ensure the laptops remain secure for the next user you won’t be able to install additional software to the laptop.
- On Campus you’ll be able to print in the normal way but away from campus you can use the University iPrint service.
- You can save files in the same way you’d use a University PC, if you save a document to your desktop this will actually be stored in your OneDrive which will be available from any other PC when connected to the Internet.
- It must not be taken out of the UK.
- Full guidance notes are provided with the device
- While we test and maintain all loan equipment, we recommend that you check the laptop on borrowing to ensure it’s working properly. You should report any issues to us immediately, to avoid being held responsible for any problems.
- You will be liable for any loss or damage to the iBorrow. Loss or damage to the laptop or accessories will result in charges for repair (this may be up to £200) or replacement costs (£600 for the laptop; £20 for the power supply; £10 for the carry case, £10 for the lost mouse). We will ask one of our CCCU authorized repair agents to generate a quote for the cost of the repairs.
- You are responsible for the safety and security of the laptop and accessories whilst the machine is on loan to you. Please do not leave it unattended, keep it clean and avoid food and drink spillage. You will be responsible for any misuse of a laptop whilst it is on loan to you. Please read the relevant IT policies.
- The University is not responsible for loss of any data. caused by software, hardware, battery failure or computer viruses.
If you have a laptop-related enquiry please contact the IT Hub in Augustine House via:
- Email: email@example.com (8am to 6pm weekdays)
- Telephone: 01227 922626 (8am to 6pm weekdays)
- In Person: IT Hub AH (8am to 7pm weekdays & 11am to 5pm weekends)
- In Person: IT Hub Lg44 (9am to 5pm weekdays)