Many of our students have children or other dependents to care for while studying with us, and we understand it can be a juggling act. That’s why we offer support and advice to help you balance your home commitments with studying.

Financial support

If you’re a full-time student and you’ve got children or an adult who depends on you, you might be able to get extra help on top of your main student finance.

The amount you get depends on your household income and doesn’t usually have to be paid back.

This can include:

  • Childcare Grant - You can apply for a Childcare Grant to help pay for your childcare costs for children in approved or registered childcare. You could get up to 85% of your childcare costs.
  • Parents’ Learning Allowance - If you’ve got dependent children, you can apply for a Parents’ Learning Allowance to help with course-related costs such as books and travel.
  • Adult Dependents’ Grant - If you’ve got a partner or another adult who depends on you financially, you can apply for an Adult Dependents’ Grant.
  • Child Tax Credit - You can apply for Child Tax Credit if you're responsible for one child or more.

For further financial advice, you can chat to our Student Supprt Advisers.


There’s a range of childcare available in and around Canterbury and Medway.

If you’re paying for childcare you may be eligible for a contribution towards your costs through the Government’s Tax-free Childcare Scheme. For further information click here.

Family-friendly facilities

For the convenience and comfort of parents and babies, there are baby feeding and changing rooms at our Canterbury, Medway and Tunbridge Wells campuses.

Find our baby care and feeding facilities on the interactive campus map. 

  • Ground floor in Laud, room Lg03
  • Ground floor in Augustine House (behind the Library Point), room AHg03.