If your work experience is in an unpaid or low-paid role or has additional costs associated which would make it difficult for you to take up the opportunity without financial assistance, we have two bursaries available to help.
The Employability and Skills team has a limited fund that is open to all qualifying students. For qualifying criteria, and full details of what the bursaries can be used for, please see the Work Experience Fund Terms and Conditions.
There are two bursaries available:
- Travel Bursary: for assistance with travel costs (individual applications only).
- Career Start Bursary: for all other costs associated with the work experience including potential money to test a business idea. Examples of possible uses for the Career Start Bursary include costs for buying suitable workwear, ad hoc child care, specialist software and money to attend a conference (individual and group applications welcome).
Please note that in order for us to process your application, you must be registered on The Careers and Enterprise Online Hub.
How to apply
- Before completing the application form ensure that you have downloaded, read and understood the Work Experience Fund Terms and Conditions. This document outlines what the criteria is for applicants, the work experience opportunity, and your responsibilities, should you be awarded the funds. You should also read the Frequently Asked Questions document for other topics not covered in the Work Experience Fund Terms and Conditions.
- Submit a completed application form for your required Bursary (Travel Bursary or Career Start Bursary) and provide evidence of your eligibility and proof of the work experience opportunity that you will be undertaking. Include as much detail as possible in your application. All applications will be considered on an individual basis based on the information you provide in the application form.
- Travel Bursary: Applications for this bursary run throughout the academic year. We will acknowledge receipt of your application form within three working days and aim to get back to you with a decision within seven working days. If you have any questions please direct them to email@example.com.
- Career Start Bursaries are awarded following regular panel meetings. The dates for these meetings for 2020/21 are provisionally as follows:
- Tue 3 November 2020 (application deadline Wed 28 October 2020)
- Tue 1 December 2020 (application deadline Wed 25 November 2020)
- Tue 5 January 2021 (application deadline Wed 23 December 2020)
- Tue 2 February 2021 (application deadline Wed 27 January 2021)
- Tue 2 March 2021 (application deadline Wed 24 February 2021)
- Tue 6 April 2021 (application deadline Wed 31 March 2021)
- Tue 4 May 2021 (application deadline Wed 28 April 2021)
- Tue 1 June 2021 (application deadline Wed 26 May 2021)
- Tue 6 July 2021 (application deadline Wed 30 June 2021)
- Tue 3 August 2021 (application deadline Wed 28 July 2021)
The Work Experience Fund 2020/21 will run until 31st July 2021 at 5pm or until funds are exhausted. Early applications are advised as funds are limited.
Make sure you look at the Work Experience Fund Frequently Asked Questions for further information. If you require any help with your application, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have already made use of the Work Experience Fund and found it helpful, please get in touch and tell us more. We'd also love to hear about your work experience and how it helped in preparing you for your career after university. To get in touch, please contact email@example.com.