If your career development opportunity is in an unpaid or low-paid role or has additional costs associated which would make it difficult for you to take up the opportunity without financial assistance, we have three bursaries available to help.
The Employability and Skills team has a limited fund that is open to all qualifying students. For qualifying criteria, and full details of what the bursaries can be used for, please see the Career Development Fund Terms and Conditions.
There are three bursaries available:
- Travel Bursary: for assistance with travel costs (individual applications only).
- Career Start Bursary: for all other costs associated with the work experience. Examples of possible uses for the Career Start Bursary include costs for buying suitable workwear, ad hoc child care, specialist software and money to attend a conference (individual and group applications welcome).
- Business & Freelancing Start Bursary: for costs relating to starting a business or freelancing activity.
Please note that in order for us to process your application, you must be registered on The Careers and Enterprise Online Hub.
How to apply
- Before completing the application form ensure that you have downloaded, read and understood the Career Development Fund Terms and Conditions. This document outlines what the criteria is for applicants, Career Development opportunity, and your responsibilities, should you be awarded the funds. You should also read the Frequently Asked Questions document for other topics not covered in the Career Development Fund Terms and Conditions.
- Submit a completed application form for your required Bursary (Travel Bursary, Career Start Bursary or Business & Freelancing Start Bursary) and provide evidence of your eligibility and proof of the career development opportunity that you will be undertaking. Include as much detail as possible in your application. All applications will be considered on an individual basis based on the information you provide in the application form.
- Travel Bursary: Applications for this bursary run from December 2021 till the end of July 2022. We will acknowledge receipt of your application form within three working days and aim to get back to you with a decision within seven working days. If you have any questions please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Career Start Bursary as well as the Business & Freelance Bursary are awarded following regular panel meetings. The provisional dates for these meetings for 2021/22 are provisionally as follows:
- Tue 7 December 2021 (application deadline Wed 1 December 2021)
- Tue 4 January 2022 (application deadline Wed 29 December 2021)
- Tue 1 February 2022 (application deadline Wed 26 January 2022)
- Tue 1 March 2022 (application deadline Wed 23 February 2022)
- Tue 5 April 2022 (application deadline Wed 30 March 2022)
- Tue 3 May 2022 (application deadline Wed 27 April 2022)
- Tue 7 June 2022 (application deadline Wed 1 June 2022)
- Tue 7 July 2022 (application deadline Wed 1 July 2022)
- Tue 5 August 2022 (application deadline Wed 29 July 2022)
The Career Development Fund 2020/21 will run until 31st July 2022 at 5pm or until funds are exhausted. Early applications are advised as funds are limited.
Make sure you look at the Career Development Fund Frequently Asked Questions for further information. If you require any help with your application, you can email email@example.com.
If you have already made use of the Career Development Fund and found it helpful, please get in touch and tell us more. We'd also love to hear about your career development opportunity and how it helped in preparing you for your career after university. To get in touch, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.