If you’ve chosen to live in university accommodation, we want to make it feel like a home-from-home for you.

To help you prepare and settle in, we have our University Accommodation Handbook  with all the essential information you’ll need to know before you arrive.

When you arrive in your new home, you’ll be welcomed by your accommodation champion - a current student who lives in your university accommodation. They'll be there for you all year round, helping you settle into uni life and providing practical support along the way.

Katie’s student vlog gives you a great insight into what is great about living in Christ Church accommodation.

Make sure you check out the Licence Agreement that you’ve accepted, as this is a legal contract between you and the University. It lays out the obligations that you have as a licence holder in the accommodation and the obligations that the University has to you.

Approximately a few weeks before you’re due to arrive (or once your guarantor process is complete), you’ll receive an email inviting you to complete the compulsory student accommodation induction. This will give you further information about your accommodation, instructions of how to find it, and how to book arrival times if you’re arriving on one of the large intake days.

In all student accommodation we provide a fridge, freezer, electric kettle, cooker, microwave, vacuum cleaner, toaster, iron and ironing board. Additionally, washing machines are provided, where not offered communally. Rooms are supplied with a mattress, mattress protector and bed base, wardrobe, desk and computer chair, bookshelf, noticeboard, curtains or blinds, floor covering, lampshades, wastepaper bin and electrical TV sockets.

Remember to complete your Accommodation Arrival Inventory Form when you arrive.

You might want to wait until you arrive to see what your room looks like and what your housemates bring. There are plenty of shops in Canterbury to get what you might need, which will probably include:

  • duvet - see bed sizes
  • pillows
  • bed linen
  • towels
  • tea towels
  • crockery
  • cutlery
  • saucepans
  • some food for the first few days
  • cleaning materials for keeping the kitchen, bathroom and your bedroom clean and tidy.

Both bed and kitchen packs can be purchased online by going to UniKitOut, but only once you’ve received and accepted your accommodation offer.

Toilet rolls are not provided in en suite rooms and shared toilets, although there will be one as part of your welcome pack when you arrive.


All bedrooms have a noticeboard, so that you can put up pictures and posters. Please ensure that you don’t affix any posters, pictures or other items to the walls in your accommodation, as you’ll be charged for any redecoration needed.


Items that aren’t permitted and which you should not bring include:

  • candles
  • incense sticks
  • tea lights
  • BBQs
  • oil and electric heaters
  • chip fryers
  • smoking equipment, such as pipes and ashtrays
  • dartboards
  • weapons of any description, either real or replica
  • drugs or any other psychoactive substances
  • pets of any description
  • large items of furniture or equipment, such as white goods, are not allowed in student accommodation for health and safety reasons.

TV licence

If you bring a device with you to watch or record TV programmes, you’ll need a TV licence. A device can be a laptop, PC, mobile phone, games console, digital box etc. To purchase a licence or for more information go to: www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud.

Connecting to Wi-Fi

All accommodation has free Wi-Fi, meaning you’ll be able to keep on top of your studies, stay connected with friends and family and up-to-date with what's happening.

Eduroam is our recommended Wi-Fi service. You can connect quickly and easily in just a few simple steps. However, if you’re using a games console or a smart TV, you should connect wirelessly via our ResNET service. For further information click here.

Reporting a fault in accommodation

We work hard to make sure everything is just right for when you move in, but there may be times while you're in university-owned accommodation when you need to report faults and let us know of problems that need to be resolved.

Download our Planon App to make it quick and easy to get anything you need fixed.