Disability Funding Support

You may be entitled to funding to help you with your studies.

We can advise and help you apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs). These are UK government support funds for eligible students with physical and mental disabilities, including dyslexia and dyspraxia.

The funding provided by DSAs can help pay for extra essential costs you may incur as a direct result of your disability. These could range from sign language interpreters and dyslexia tutor sessions, to computer equipment and assistive software.

Disabled Students’ Allowances available


  • Specialist Equipment Allowance for any specialist equipment you need because of your disability.
  • Non-medical Help Allowance for support workers and other non-medical assistance needed to benefit fully from your course - we can help you to organise this assistance. View the rates for non-medical assistance.  
  • Travel Allowance for additional travel costs you pay to get to university or placement as a direct result of your disability.
  • General Allowance for other extra disability related costs you may have.

For further information:

Types of additional support you may require:

  • Sign language interpreters
  • Individual learner support and dyslexia support
  • Equipment such as computers, digital audio recorders
  • Assistive software

EU students and International students

The University offers a wide range of practical support for all disabled students.

As the Disabled Student’s Allowances are offered by the UK government, they are unfortunately not available to EU and International students. Any additional support costs for EU/International students must be covered by you/your sponsor, or a charity/funding body that you find independently.

If you are applying to Christ Church, please contact the Student Disability Service before you accept the offer of a place, to discuss the costs of additional support services and availability of alternative sources of funding.

Other Sources of Funding

There are a number of ways you can support yourself as a student at university - including loans, grants, savings and wages.

For UK Students click here.

Get in touch

For further advice on funding, please contact the disability team:

Telephone: 01227 922576 or 01227 863056  Emaildisability@canterbury.ac.uk

Contact us


Connect with us

Last edited: 27/03/2020 14:28:00