The University, as Data Controller, should facilitate the exercise of your rights as a data subject.
All Data Protection requests are free of charge.
- You can make a request orally or in writing. You are not obliged to make a request using a particular format. However, we will need to undertake to check your identify. This is so that we do not release information to someone pretending to be you.
- You do not have to make your request in hard copy. You can also make a valid request using electronic means, like by email. The University will try to reply to your request using the same mean unless otherwise requested by you.
- You could also use social media, for example via the University’s Facebook or Twitter account, although it may be impractical for the University to supply information to you using the same method.
However, to ensure the University promptly satisfies your request, we recommend you to read the following guidance:
1) Please read carefully the guidance regarding Your Rights available on this page, particularly regarding the right you would like to exercise. This will give you a clear understanding of the right as well as provide you with an idea of what you should expect from the University
2) Think about your request and the related personal data. It will save time if in your request you find out what personal data is the focus of your request and state it clearly, if you identify the right department and the right person the University should contact to fulfil your request. Please also ensure you that the details are easy to understand.
3) Communicate to the University your request using an official channel. In order to facilitate the exercise of your rights, the University would recommend you to communicate your request in the following manners:
a) Fill our online form available here. This will be sent automatically to a safe email account checked regularly
b) You can also fill the word document available here and send it to the email addresses included in the form
c) Send a letter or email to the University addressing it to the Data Protection Officer or the Information Governance Manager. You can find contact details here: www.canterbury.ac.uk/privacy/universitypolicy
You should receive information within 1 month from your request unless the request is particularly complex. In that case, the University has up to other additional 2 months to reply.