The visa and immigration process can seem complex. We are here to help and guide you every step of the way. We can help you with your application whether you are a new student looking to start studying with us, or are renewing an existing visa.

As an international student joining us to study at Canterbury Christ Church University, you will likely require a visa from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) in order to study in the UK. If you’re unsure if you need a visa to study in the UK, you can access guidance here.

The visa application route for students studying on degree-level courses is called the Student Route (replaces the Tier 4 route). If your study with us is less than six months, you may be able to apply for a standard visit visa or a short-term study visa instead.

Applying for a visa from the UKVI requires planning and preparation. On this and related pages, you will find important information to help you prepare for a successful application.

Important: Before you can make an application with UKVI for your visa, you must receive a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) from the university. It is important this information is accurate, and the university has a compliance process in place to guide you through these steps.

Confirmation of Acceptances for Studies (CAS)

A CAS is a digital document assigned by the university to international students applying to student at CCCU via a student visa. The CAS is a 14-digit number generated by UKVI and assigned to a student for use in their visa application.

After you receive an unconditional offer to study with the university, the process to receive your CAS will begin. Receiving an unconditional offer will require you to meet all conditions stated on your decision letter, including paying your study deposit.

You cannot make a successful visa application without a CAS number assigned by your sponsor. If you submit your application without using your CAS number, it will be refused.

Process to Receive a CAS

After receiving an unconditional offer and paying your deposit, you will receive a draft of your CAS. This draft CAS statement must be checked to ensure all details are correct before your CAS can be issued. If you still need to pay your deposit, use the Deposit tile under Application(s) in MyRecord.

Students required to submit financial documentation must also submit scanned copies of their documents before receiving their CAS.

Once approved, students will receive their CAS within 48 hours.

You can find instructions to help with the submission of CAS documents and payment of your deposit in this document. 

CAS interviews at Canterbury Christ Church University

At CCCU, we take the opportunity to speak to students via interview to better understand their wish to study with us in the UK. The guidance on this page aims to help you prepare for this interview. An invite to interview does not imply that there is anything wrong with your application. Expand the section below to find out more about the interview and some example questions.

The UK Home Office guidance encourages Higher Education institutions to assess whether a student has the genuine intention to study with their school before granting a letter of Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). We do this through an interview process where we take the time to ask you about yourself and your intentions in applying to Canterbury Christ Church University. 

We understand that an invite to interview may feel daunting, but this is a conversation about you, your choices, and your hard work up to this point. It’s also a chance for you to learn more about the university and get to know our staff. If you need the interviewer to slow down or repeat themselves when talking, please ask and they will be more than happy to accommodate you. Most importantly of all, please do not give answers that you feel the interviewers want to hear but are not true.

Take the time to research the university, its area, and the course you want to study for yourself. You should also take time to understand the visa application process, and the Home Office’s expectations for Student Route visa students in the UK. 

We won't provide the exact questions that are asked in interview here, but below are some examples: 

Your visa history

  • Have you travelled abroad before?
  • Has your travel informed your decision to study in the UK?
  • How do you feel about travelling abroad without companions?

Your course

  • Why have you chosen our university? 
  • Why is this the right step for you?
  • What advice or tools have you used to help you make your decision?
  • If you want to mention awards that the university holds, why are they important and what do you know about them?
  • What do you know about Canterbury as a place to live?
  • How is your course taught and why is this the right course for you?
  • How will this course help you achieve your aims in the future? What are your future aims? 
  • Why do you want to study in the UK?

Your finances

  • Have you considered the cost of studying in the UK?
  • Will you need to work while you are here? 
  • Do you have bank statements ready to evidence your ability to pay?
  • Where will you stay whilst studying? 

Useful links

We hope the above information is useful for you in preparing for your interview. You may also find the following links helpful:

Documentation required for your visa application

Note: Official translations should be provided for any documents not in English

  • CAS issued from the university
  • Original in-date passport with no less than six months before expiry date
  • Official degree certificate and/or transcripts; you must supply the evidence used for your offer as listed on the CAS given to you by the university
  • English language qualification: the list of acceptable qualifications can be found here
  • TB certificate if required
  • ATAS certificate if required
  • If you were previously granted a visa for the UK and possess a BRP (biometric residence permit), you need to include your BRP
  • Financial documentation to show you or your sponsors possess the funds required by UKVI (remaining tuition fees + maintenance fees of £ 9,207); nationals of low-risk countries as deemed by the UKVI (Appendix ST, para. 22.1) are not required to submit evidence with their application but should retain evidence in case it is requested

English language requirement

Students studying at degree level must demonstrate the ability to read, write and understand English to a sufficient level as defined by the UKVI.

What you’re studying


Degree level or above

Equivalent to CEFR level B2

Below degree level

CEFR level B1

*CEFR refers to the Common European Framework of References for Languages

Students can demonstrate their proficiency by submitting evidence of:

  • passing a Secured English Language Test (SELT),
  • having a GSCE, A level, Scottish National Qualification level 4 or 5, Scottish Higher or Advanced Higher in English from a UK school at which you began studying when you were under 18
  • via assessment by a Higher Education provider

You will not need to show proof of English language ability in the following circumstances.

  • You are a national of the countries listed below
  • You are a national of Canada
  • You are applying for a visa to study in the UK as part of a study abroad programme with a US university
  • You previously proved your English language ability in a prior visa application

List of majority-English speaking countries exempt from proving English language abilities

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • the Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Malta
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • UK
  • USA


It’s important to understand the financial requirements to study in the UK as an international student. In addition to tuition fees, there are several related costs. Unless exempted, you will need to demonstrate you have the required amount of funds as part of your visa application.

Standard fee for student visa: £ 348

Immigration Health Surcharge: £ 470 per year

Maintenance funds required: £ 1,023 per month for 9 months

Maintenance funds required per dependent per month: £ 680

Financial Documentation Requirements

All applicants are required to submit evidence of their finances as part of their visa application unless they are exempt (list of exemptions found in Immigration Rules Appendix Student, ST para. 22.1) As part of the university’s compliance process, applicants who need to submit their financial documents to the UKVI with their application must also submit their documentation to the university for review.

You must show UKVI that you have adequate funding to cover any remaining tuition fees as well as the requisite maintenance funds as defined by the UKVI. For students joining Canterbury Christ Church University, the amount is £ 9,207 (£ 1,023 per month for 9 months). Applicants applying with dependents require an additional £ 680 per month for each dependent.

Please read the section about financial documents here before sending your financial evidence to the university. The UKVI’s stipulations for financial documentation can be found in Immigration Rules Appendix Finance and you can access the guidance for financial documentation from UKVI here.

Making your application

You can find the link to UKVI’s visa application system here.

Find your nearest visa application centre here.

After your visa is granted

If your application is successful, you will receive a 60-day vignette in your passport that will allow you to travel to the UK to undertake study as a student. Once you receive your vignette, please check it carefully for errors. You’ll also be given instructions detailing where to collect your biometric residence permit (BRP).

You must attend enrolment with the Compliance Team to show your passport, BRP, and original academic documents used to obtain your offer (degree certificate, transcripts, etc.)

When you receive your BRP from the post office, please check it carefully for errors, including your name, your start and end dates, the sponsor (CCCU), and the conditions of your leave.

Note: Nationals of certain countries have the option of entering the UK via the eGates. However, it is not recommended that students arriving for study use the eGates for entry to the UK. It is recommended that students enter via an immigration officer who will stamp their passport. This stamp serves as proof of entry to the UK which is required in order to enrol and receive your BRP.

Work & your student visa

Depending on the conditions of your visa, you may be allowed to undertake work while studying in the UK.

Students studying full-time on a degree-level course at Canterbury Christ Church University may work up to 20 hours per week during term time as per the UKVI’s rules. Outside of term time, students may work full-time hours. Your BRP will detail the conditions of your leave.

Your responsibilities while in the UK on a Student visa

  • Attend induction, orientation, and registration on campus

  • You must attend and engage with your course both in-person and online as required

  • Submit all assignments and coursework


Do I need a student visa to study at the university?

To check if you need a visa to study in the UK, use the UKVI’s UK visa checker.

I’m an EU/EEA/Swiss national. Do I need a student visa?

Guidance for EU students can be found here.

What is a CAS?

A CAS is the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies issued by the university. It is a document that tells the UKVI that you are sponsored officially by the school and is used for your visa application.

Do I need a CAS for my visa application?

Yes. All students submitting a visa application to study at CCCU must have a CAS in order to make their online application with UKVI.

How do I get my CAS?

The university will send you a draft of your CAS via email. You will need to check this document carefully to ensure it is correct and report any corrections to us. Once all compliance checks have been completed, your CAS will then be issued to you via email.

When can I apply for my visa?

Students may apply for their visa up to six months in advance of the start date of their course once they have received their CAS.

How much time will I be given for my visa?

Students studying on programmes 12 months or longer will be given up to 1 month before the start date of the course and 4 months after the end date of their course.

If the course is longer than 6 months, but shorter than 12 months, students will be given up to 1 month before the start date of the course and 2 months after the end date.

For those studying a pre-sessional course, such as English, which lasts less than 6 months will be given 1 month before the start date and 1 month after the end date.

Can I bring my family with me?

The UKVI allows applications for dependents only, including partners and children. Students applying with dependents will be required to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge for each dependant and provide financial documentation showing adequate funds to cover the living expenses of each dependent.

If you need help with your Visa application, CAS or other immigration-related issues, please contact:

Immigration Compliance Team


Admissions team

T: +44 (0)1227 925 555