Accommodation Privacy Notice
1) About our service
When you accept a place as a student at Canterbury Christ Church University (CCCU), you can apply to stay in one of our University-managed accommodation or run by one of our 3rd party accommodation suppliers.
This Privacy Notice also applies if you have been nominated to be a guarantor for the licence agreement.
This Privacy Notice tells you about how CCCU, as the service provider, collects and processes your personal data. We do this for the purposes of managing your use of our student accommodation.
If you make a simple enquiry or visit us on our premises because you want to learn more about our Students Accommodation services, you need to give us only limited personal information. We will process this information for this purpose only.
You can find further information regarding how we use your Personal Data for our services in our Consumers and Customers Privacy Notice available at: www.canterbury.ac.uk/privacy/customer
2) Information about you: what we collect and how we use it
CCCU collects and processes personal data for the performance of a contract for accommodation services.
We could also process the data in order to take any required steps prior to entering into a contract.
CCCU needs to process the following personal data about you.
a) Students applying for an accommodation:
- Personal data, including your name, addresses, telephone numbers, emails, gender and information required to identify you such as your date of birth and course
- Special Categories data you consent to disclose to improve your experience or for the fulfilment of any services while you are at our accommodation.
- Information related to misuse of the student accommodation, including information for disciplinary purposes
- Financial information relating to the accommodation fees, including means of payment
- Information related to references only when you request these
- Personal data, including your name, addresses, telephone numbers, emails, and information required to identify you such as your date of birth
3) The legal basis for the processing of the data
When you express an interest to enter into an accommodation contract, the University needs to process your personal data to provide you with this service.
We could be required to share data with other organisations when our legitimate interest overrides your rights to privacy.
This includes sharing your data with one of our agents if you have a debt to CCCU and this needs recovering.
This includes processing your data in relation to the administration of the University’s systems in accordance with the University’s code of practice.
It is in the legitimate interests of the University to secure the safety of individuals and protect property.
If you consent, we might process the following personal data:
• Information regarding health conditions or disabilities relevant to providing you with accommodation services
• Details of your cultural beliefs and lifestyle preferences to support your application to live in suitable University accommodation
• Processing safeguarding concerns to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our students
• Processing personal data disclosed to us by other University departments when you gave your explicit consent to do so.
- We might process your personal data for Direct Marketing purposes.
You can read further information in our Direct Marketing Privacy Notice at the following link: https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/privacy/directmarketing
We may process your personal data because the University has a legal obligation to do so. For example, we may process your data for Health and Safety purposes, insurance purposes, or for the purposes of taxation and voter registration.
We may share data with other organisations when required by law.
4) What happens if you refuse to provide your personal information?
If you choose not to submit any personal information when requested, we may not be able to provide an accommodation service.
5) Recipients of your Personal Data
For the fulfilment of the contractual relationship, CCCU may be required to transfer your data to third party organisations, including Service Providers.
These include Partners, Agents, Contractors and other third parties to fulfil the contract.
When CCCU uses a company to process data on our behalf (data processors), we will ensure that a contract compliant with Art 28 of the GDPR is in place
6) Retention Period
CCCU will retain your data for as long as required for the purposes of the fulfilment of your contract.
In details, we will retain your data for a minimum of six years after the conclusion of your contract with us.
This is the statutory limitation period for Simple Contract stated by the Limitation Act 1980.
3rd Party accommodation providers will be able to confirm their policy about your data rention separately.
7) The Data Controller and further information
Canterbury Christ Church University is the Data Controller for this personal data.
Please click the link below to access further information regarding:
- The Data Controller
- The name and contact details of the University Data Protection Officer
- Where to make a complaint
- Your rights as a Data Subject
- How to contact the Regulator
12) Version Control
||Privacy Notice - Accommodation
||Students, Employees, General Public
||Estates and Facilities
||25 May 2018
|Date of review:
||25 May 2021
|Date last amended:
||3 August 2020