Visas and Immigration

If you are not a citizen of the UK or an EU/EEA country, and do not possess current permission to live, work or study in the UK, you will need to successfully apply for a visa to travel to Canterbury Christ Church University and begin your studies.

The type of visa you will need depends upon your course. There are two main types of visa for UK study:

  • Short term study visa: This visa is issued for courses lasting six months or less, or for general English language courses up to eleven months in duration.
  • Tier 4 (General) visa: This visa is issued for degree-level and above courses and for students taking a Pre-Sessional English Language course or Foundation Year before commencing their main programme. 

Sponsorship of your application and CAS

View how we assess whether we are able to sponsor your visa application and information about the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) document.

Find out more about sponsorship of your application and CAS

Applying for a Tier 4 visa

See an overview of the process of applying for a Tier 4 visa, whether you are applying from outside or inside the UK.

Find out more about applying for a tier 4 visa

Short-term study and other visas

Learn about these visas that are available for students who are undertaking short-term courses.

Find out more about short-term study and other visas


Attendance monitoring, re-sits and permitted work for Tier 4 students

Details about the University’s attendance policy, our Tier 4 Agreement and the rules regarding working in the UK on your Tier 4 visa.

Find out more about attendance monitoring, re-sits and permitted work for Tier 4 students

Doctorate extension scheme

Discover the scheme that enables doctorate students to look for and start work in the UK after their studies.

Find out more about the doctorate extension scheme

Contact us

Admissions Team
Tel: 01227 925555

Compliance Team
Tel: 01227 782297


Connect with us

Last edited: 26/02/2019 14:30:00