Tier 4 Visa.

If you need a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, there is a very strict procedure that must be followed, and many essential criteria to meet. This section provides an overview of the process, but it is important that you read in detail the UK Home Office’s Tier 4 of the Points Based System – Policy Guidance. 

To apply for your Tier 4 visa, you must visit the UK Home Office’s website.

Tier 4 Checklist

Before you make your application for a Tier 4 visa, it is a good idea to get familiar with the documents you need to provide. The UK Home Office website has a useful list which explains what you need and why you need it. In addition, the Home Office has created a handy checklist for students, which you can use to ensure your application stands the best chance of being successful.

Finally, the UK Council for Student International Affairs website is an invaluable source of information and we recommend you refer to it. Just click here to open it in a new tab. 

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

If you are intending to study at degree level or above you will need a Tier 4 visa. If you accept an unconditional offer from us, the University will officially support your visa application with the UK Visa and Immigration Authority – often referred to as UKVI.

This sponsorship will be in the form of a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) document and a unique number which the University submits to the UKVI to confirm your acceptance to the course, along with various details about you.

Please note that you may be granted an 'academically unconditional offer' if you apply via UCAS. However, you will still be required to meet several immigration-related conditions before the University will grant your CAS.

If you apply for a Tier 4 visa without a CAS document, your application will be refused. Only Canterbury Christ Church University can give you this to use in your visa application.

If you meet the relevant criteria, we will issue you with your CAS up to three months before the start of your course. The CAS will be sent to you via e-mail which lists the information we have provided about you to the UKVI. You will be required to enter the 14-digit CAS number contained in the document into the UKVI’s online application form.

Be aware that for students from a high-risk country as defined by UKVI are required to pay a £5,000 deposit, and students from a low-risk country as defined by UKVI a £2,000 deposit before a CAS number is issued.

If you need help, please contact our Admissions team on: +44 (0)1227 925 555

We require a variety of different information to process and issue you with a CAS number. Below is a list of the key things required to ensure that your application goes as smoothly as possible.

  • Your passport number
  • Your personal statement
  • The academic qualifications you used to apply for your course
  • Evidence of your English language ability
    • Unless you are exempt from the English Language requirements for English language ability, you must have a valid English Language qualification that meets both the UKVI and Canterbury Christ Church University requirements for your course.
  • Evidence that you will be making academic progression
    • Applicants who have previously studied in the UK on a Tier 4 visa are required to demonstrate that their new course is at a higher level than their previous course, with few exceptions. We will be able to advise you if this is the case in your situation.
  • A completed Immigration History Declaration Form
    • Tier 4 students are not permitted to spend more than five years in the UK studying at degree-level, or more than three years at below degree level. There are exemptions to this rule which we will advise you of, if they apply to you.
  • A completed Tier 4 Agreement form - in this document, you formally agree to abide by the conditions attached to your Tier 4 visa, and to fully engage with your studies
  • A signed Acceptance of Offer form
  • Any academic references requested by Canterbury Christ Church University
  • Evidence of funds required to pay your tuition fees and support you whilst in the UK. You can find out more about required funds on the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.
  • An ATAS (academic technology approval system) certificate (if needed). We will advise you whether you require an ATAS certificate at the point of acceptance, and guide you through the process of obtaining one if necessary
  • Evidence that your first year tuition fee deposit has been paid
  • Parental Consent Form if under 18 years of age.

If you are currently studying with us and need a visa extension to finish your course, our Compliance Team can help. They can check your application and provide guidance on any evidence you plan to send and ensure that it meets the standards required by UKVI.

Contact them via email: ukvi.compliance@cantebury.ac.uk

Attendance Monitoring

As part of our Tier 4 Agreement you agree to abide by all of the immigration conditions of your leave to remain in the UK, including fully engaging with your course. This means attending all teaching sessions in accordance with our attendance policy.

We have introduced electronic attendance monitoring and as such it is vital that you ensure to ‘scan in’ at the start of each session using your student smartcard - this is how the university will confirm that you are attending your teaching sessions.

The university retains the right to withdraw you from your studies and report this to the UKVI if you do not fully engage with your studies. If you are withdrawn, the UKVI will curtail (cancel) your visa, and you will be sent a letter telling you how long you are legally allowed to remain in the UK before you must return home. This time period is usually 60 days.

Working in the UK on a Tier 4 Visa

Both paid and unpaid work are restricted on a Tier 4 Visa. Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card will detail the amount of work you are entitled to undertake each week. Your employer should check this, but you have a personal responsibility to ensure that you are staying within your limit.

Please note that voluntary work (work for which you are not paid) will count towards your weekly allowance. For further information and guidance on working in the UK on a Tier 4 Visa, it's worth looking at the UKCISA website here.

Further Information

This website is only a general guide and does not cover all aspects of Tier 4 immigration guidance and legislation. Our guide to applying gives you a far more detailed overview of the processes, and what each stage means. It is very important that you, your parents or representatives read the full information given by the UKVI and other bodies below:

The most common reasons for refusal we have seen are applicants not sending in the correct documents, and not holding the required funds to cover your stay in the UK. It is therefore crucial that you read the full guidance carefully. Our Admissions Team will check all document copies used in your application before you apply, but ultimately it is up to you to ensure that the correct originals are used as your visa application is your responsibility.

The University's CAS Policy can be downloaded via the link on this page.

You can always contact our Admission team who will be happy to offer help and advice about applying for your visa.

Call: +44 (0)1227 925 555

Email: Admissions@canterbury.ac.uk