We're sure you have a lot of questions about the cost of University education and how best to pay for it. Here you’ll find information and support on the cost of University study, from fees and accessing grants to help in paying for living costs.

We'll show you how to access information about financial support. Remember, if you have any questions or concerns about financing your University education don't hesitate to get in touch with our dedicated teams who are always ready to help even before you've applied.

Course fees 

Course fees do vary depending on the course you're studying and can be found on the course page under Fees. You can search for your course here.

Living costs 

You’ll need to cover your living costs while you're studying. Think about where you’ll live and how much it will cost. You’ll also need money to cover your day-to-day living costs like food, clothes, additional childcare, travel and accommodation.

Money saving expert Martin Lewis has helpful budgeting tools and advice that will help you in planning your living costs. 

Our Student Support and Wellbeing Advisers are also available to talk about budgeting and how to cover everyday living costs. Call 01227 922675 or email studentwellbeing@canterbury.ac.uk.

Additional costs 

Apart from tuition fees and living costs there are some additional costs that could be attached to your course or study. We try to keep these to a minimum and be clear about what they are.

Some additional costs apply to almost all students – like purchasing textbooks (though remember we have a well-stocked library where you can access a lot of text books for free). But some additional costs are linked to specific courses. You’ll find more information about these costs on your course page under Fees.

Tuition fee loans 

Most of our Home undergraduate students pay their course fees with a government student tuition fee loan. (If you’ve already been in higher education you may not qualify for a loan, but this depends on the course you’ll be studying).

You don’t have to pay the loan back until you graduate and the amount you pay back relates to how much you earn. There is no “up-front” cost where fees are concerned.

It can take up to six weeks to process applications for finance so don’t leave it to the last minute. You don’t have to wait until you’ve been formally offered a place at University before applying for your tuition fee loan.

The government website has all the information you need about student tuition fee loans.

Part-time students can also apply for tuition fee loans. The amount you receive depends on how many credits you study each year. Contact our course enquiry team for more information.


If you don’t qualify for a government tuition fee loan you can pay your fees yourself, or via a sponsor. 

If you're starting your course in September, payments can be made by one of the following options: 

  • payment in full 
  • three equal payments at the end of September, January and April
  • eight equal monthly payments at the end of September through to April. 

To discuss setting up a self-payment plan, please email our Finance  team: accounts.receivable@canterbury.ac.uk 

The University accepts Visa and MasterCard debit and credit card payments. 

If you're starting your course in January or April, then the above payment terms will be adjusted to take account of your start date.

Payment plan via a sponsor 

While most people opt for tuition fee loans, there is the option of paying for your fees upfront. This is usually through a person or organisation who can pay your fees for you.

You can receive official financial sponsorship from Her Majesty’s Government, your home government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or a UK independent school. You must enter the sponsor details in the MySponsor section of your MyRecord portal. These details can be entered at any stage prior to you starting at University, or through the online registration process.

The University Fees team will check the sponsor information provided and will notify you if they are able to approve the sponsor. Alternatively, they will notify you if they require any further information about your sponsor, or if they are unable to approve your sponsor.

Please note: Any arrangement made between you and a sponsor to pay your tuition fees is an agreement between you and the sponsor. If your sponsor does not pay the tuition fees, you will be personally liable to pay the fees yourself.

The University will then invoice you directly and you will be required to either pay in full or set up a self-payment plan that is acceptable to the University at that stage in the academic year. 

Family members are not regarded as sponsors but may pay tuition fees to the University with your agreement.

Payments from family members are deemed to be payments made by the student and may be made on an instalment basis as set out above.

There is no direct contract or binding arrangement between the family member and the University. 

Maintenance loan to support living costs

To help with living costs you may be able to apply for a government maintenance loan. Unlike the tuition fee loan, the amount you receive varies depending on your situation.

You can apply for this loan if:

  • you are a full-time UK student 
  • you are a full-time EU student who has been granted Settled status and has lived in the UK for more than 3 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course.

The amount you receive depends on: 

  • household income 
  • financial status
  • where you study
  • where you choose to live while you study. 

You will not receive any related maintenance loan payments until your tuition fee loan has been approved and your attendance at University can be confirmed.

If you are studying part-time you may still be eligible for a maintenance loan.

Course eligibility 

Part-time maintenance loans are available for students studying BA/BSc, BEd or PGCE courses.

Courses not eligible 

Foundation degrees, Diplomas of Higher Education, Higher National Diplomas, Higher National Certificates and Certificates of Higher Education are not eligible for Maintenance loans, this includes the diploma in Education and Training.

You might be eligible for extra money on top of student loans, for example if you’re on a low income, are disabled or have children or caring responsibilities.

Disabled students

If you have a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability you can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to cover some of the extra costs.

The support you'll receive is based on your individual needs rather than your household income. 

Students with children or dependant adults

There is a range of support from the government that you could be eligible for to help you with childcare costs including: Childcare Grant (full-time students only), Parents Learning Grant (full-time students only), Adults Dependants' Grant (full-time students only), and Child Tax Credits. 

Low income students

You could be eligible to apply for Income Support or Universal Tax Credit while you're studying. 

Information about extra help from the government can all be found on the gov.uk website.

Use their student finance calculator to get an idea of the amount you might expect to receive. 

Independent students under 25 years old

If you are under 25 years old, have no contact with your parents and support yourself there is help and advice available on the Stand Alone website, including a finance guide explaining what you could be entitled to. 

The University also offers support to students who are, or have previously been in, care and students who meet household income criteria. Full details can be found on our Scholarships and bursaries section.


Student Support and Wellbeing Advisers

We recognise living on a student income can be a challenge. If you have any money worries before you arrive, or when you get to University, our Student Support and Wellbeing Advisers are here to help you with:

  • ensuring you’re getting all the financial support you’re entitled to 
  • financial planning and money management 
  • your support package from the student loans company 
  • discretionary support funds you may be able to access 
  • the availability of additional grants and loans.

Working while studying 

Many people work alongside their studies.The University has a dedicated employment service called Unitemps. The team helps students to find part-time work in the local area.

You can also apply to become a student ambassador. There are a variety of paid roles available. Ambassadors often help at our Open Days but can also move on to becoming key members of our Outreach team, gaining valuable skills working with local schools. 

Find out more about UNITEMPS.


It’s important to think carefully about how you're going to manage money while you study. Look at what money you have coming in and try to estimate how much you need to spend while you study.

The Money saving expert student budgeting planner is a great tool to help you plan your budget.