The title of the MA by Research (Physical Education and Physical Activity), is intentionally very broad to allow you to specialise in an area in which you are particularly interested.
Previous student studies include:
- An investigation into place meanings of recreational climbers at an indoor rock climbing venue.
- What is the impact of wellbeing on the physical activities of occupational therapy for a child with dyspraxia?
- Negotiating Sexuality within a Female University Football Team: A qualitative study
- The effective use of competition as a pedagogical tool to develop confidence and competence in physical education lessons at primary school.
- What does competition mean to children and how can we prepare and ensure that they enjoy competitive sport?
Your project may develop from your recent undergraduate work or from an aspect of your current employment which you wish to unpick, extend or challenge, for example in the areas of Physical Education, Physical Education and Sport Sciences, Physical Activity, or Primary Physical Education or Coaching.
You will be supported through regular tutorials from your specialist supervisor, as well as by a second supervisor, who will bring knowledge and expertise in research methodologies. The supervisory team includes experts in both quantitative and qualitative methodologies, data collection methods and analysis.
Our specialist supervisors’ areas of expertise include, but are not limited to: early years movement; physical development; physical curiosity; self-esteem; outcomes of physical education; gender in sport and physical education; critical understandings of social groups within physical education, physical activity and sport; the influence of social structures and discourses on participation in physical activities; the use of sociological theories as analytical tools in order to explain experiences and perceptions of participants; leadership and management in physical education; physical education as a practical activity; skill development.
Please contact the programme leader with any questions regarding supervisory topics not listed. The supervisor's role would be to help you select the appropriate research methods, to support you in devising and producing the project and to aid you in setting this within the critical framework of Physical Education, and or Physical Activity.
Further support, training and facilities are provided by The Graduate School.