The programme is comprised of six main modules, these being:
- Business Planning
- Leading and Managing Change
- Leadership for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Transforming Healthcare Quality through Evaluating Outcomes
- Marketing and Service Management
- Research and Critical Enquiry Methods
Depending on your route (part-time or full-time) the modules will be delivered across three terms in one year or two years. Six months will be allocated for completing the dissertation
Provides you with an understanding of strategic management and leadership concepts, in particular the importance of sustainable and competitive advantage in driving future strategy. The impact of the business environment and internal resources of organisations on strategic planning and choice will be critically examined in the context of achieving pragmatic strategic change.
Introduces a range of analytical techniques to enable you to analyse and evaluate financial strategy and its alignment with corporate objectives, to critically appraise projects using a range of techniques and to evaluate risk and techniques for effective management. You'll work in teams to develop business plans as part of your assessment.
Leading and Managing Change
Explores the practice and theory of leading and managing change and carry out research into a specific change within your area of interest.
Leadership for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Engages potential healthcare leaders at a time of unpredictable transformation in healthcare in an exploration of the issues that will influence their practice. The main issues to be explored are leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship within healthcare organisations.
Transforming Healthcare Quality through Evaluating Outcomes
Equips you to develop strategic decision-making that is evidence based, measured and evaluated. You will have the opportunity to critically appraise your own leadership role in promoting quality leadership and management infrastructures that measure key performance indicators.
Marketing and Service Management
Provides you with a critical understanding of the theory and application of marketing and service management – relevant to three distinct economic sectors (public, private and not-for-profit) but with a particular focus on healthcare and the need to raise and shape patient awareness and expectations.
Research and Critical Enquiry Methods
Develops key skills of research, critical enquiry and evaluation of a range of data including prior research and policy. Understanding and applying different approaches to conducting research and analysing data will be a key foundation for the course.
What will you gain from it?
This MBA is designed to support your career prospects and enable you to gain greater awareness of how to take forward your professional development and enhance your service, with an in depth understanding of leading and managing teams aligned to current and emerging health and social agendas. You will gain:
- a systematic understanding of knowledge, and a critical awareness of current problems and/or new insights, much of which is at, or informed by, the forefront of academic discipline in management and leadership or your area of professional practice
- a comprehensive understanding of methodologies and techniques applicable to your own research or advanced scholarship
- originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how established techniques of research and enquiry are used to create and interpret
- knowledge in your discipline
Conceptual understanding that enables you to critically evaluate current research and advanced scholarship in the discipline; and evaluate methodologies and develop critiques of them and, where appropriate, to propose new hypotheses.