Entry requirements.

We accept a wide range of qualifications and take the time to consider your individual application. We take into account academic qualifications as well as your personal statement and the reference(s) provided.

Most of our degree entry requirements are shown in terms of UCAS Tariff points - the level of qualifications you need to be considered for a place.

Currently the University asks for between 88 and 120 UCAS Tariff points for undergraduate degree courses, depending on the subject. Up-to-date information on a course-by-course basis can be found on the UCAS course search engine.

The table below indicates the number of UCAS Tariff points that some of the more common qualifications are worth. This is just a guide and if your qualification is not shown here, check the tariff calculator on the UCAS website. 

BTEC Qualification (QCF)




Tariff points

GCE Qualifications




International Baccalaureate Higher Level Certificate*

Extended Diploma A-level
D* D* D* 168    
D* D* D* 160    
D* DD 152    
DDD 144    
DDM 128    
DMM 112    
MMM 96    
MMP 80    
MMP 64    
  56 A*  
PPP 48 A H7
  40 B H6
  32 C  
  24 D H5
  20   H4
  16 E  
  12   H3

CCCU Offer Scheme

The CCCU Offer Scheme is available to Home and EU undergraduate applicants who have applied for Year 1 entry, starting in September 2020. Eligible applicants who have received an offer from the University, and who the University believes will benefit most from studying a degree at Canterbury Christ Church University, will be invited to join the scheme based on their predicted grades and assessment of their wider application.

If you have joined the scheme and firmly accept the conditional offer through UCAS, the University will change the offer to unconditional. We expect applicants will continue to work hard to achieve the best possible grades in all of the qualifications that they are currently taking.

The University has general minimum entry requirements which all students must meet before they register with us.

At the point of registration onto the first year of a degree, we require you to have achieved:

  • a minimum of two A Levels or
  • a BTEC National Diploma or
  • a combination of BTEC and A Level qualifications equivalent to two A Levels, such as a BTEC subsidiary certificate and one A Level or
  • an Access to Higher Education Diploma or
  • an International or Welsh Baccalaureate or
  • a Higher National Diploma/Higher National Certificate or
  • a minimum of two Advanced Highers from Scotland or
  • the Irish Leaving Certificate or
  • the European Baccalaureate Diploma or
  • an equivalent overseas qualification.

For specific course entry requirements, please check the individual course pages.

Advice for mature students

If you've taken some time out of studying you may not need to meet our general minimum entrance requirements.

If you're returning to education and are able to demonstrate your commitment to studying a degree we will consider your application and take into consideration experience and any qualifications you may have.

For more information, please contact our Course Enquiry Team, who will be happy to help and advise.

Generally, offers will be made in terms of UCAS Tariff points but there are exceptions to this. Some courses require you to achieve specific grades in the qualifications you are taking and for some you will need to have studied a particular subject at Level 3 (A-Level, BTEC, IBCP, OCR or equivalent). This will be made clear when an offer of a place is made. 

Some courses, particularly those in the health and education subject areas, have their own additional entry requirements for instance English and Maths GCSEs, or evidence of work experience.

Please check individual course pages for specific requirements.

The University considers applications from those with a wide range of general qualifications that attract UCAS Tariff points either on their own or in combination with others.

Below shows the list of frequently accepted qualifications.

The list is not exhaustive and if your qualification does not feature here then you should contact contact our Course Enquiry Team for advice.

  • A-levels
  • Vocational A-levels
  • T Levels
  • Accredited Access qualifications
  • Diploma in Foundation Studies (Art and Design)
  • BTEC Qualifications
  • CACHE qualifications
  • Cambridge Pre-U
  • OCR qualifications
  • Certificate/Diploma in Financial Studies
  • Higher Apprenticeships
  • International Baccalaureate
  • Irish Highers
  • NVQ 3 qualifications
  • International Baccalaureate Career-related programme
  • Scottish Highers
  • European Baccalaureate
  • Welsh Baccalaureate

For a small number of courses there is either a national or a University requirement to achieve grade C passes in specific GCSEs or the equivalent.

GCSE English and Maths exams are graded 9 (highest) - 1 (lowest) instead of A-G. From summer 2019 all GCSEs will be graded this way.

We will require applicants to achieve four or higher for those courses with GCSEs as part of the entry requirements.

If you do not have GCSEs, the University will only accept Level 2 credits from accredited Access courses completed in 2014 or earlier as the equivalent to GCSE passes.

Functional skills at Level 2 are accepted for the Adult, Child and Mental Health Nursing degrees and for Operating Department Practice. However, the University does not currently accept functional skills at level 2 as the equivalent of GCSEs passes for any other degree programmes that recruit via UCAS. O-Levels sat in, or after, summer 1975 must be at grade C or above. CSE grade 1 is accepted as equivalent to GCSE at grade C.

Schools, colleges and universities are getting used to T Levels both in terms of curriculum content and progression routes. We look forward to welcoming students to Canterbury Christ Church University from this new pathway and are supporting a large number of T Level students into higher education through our engagement with schools and colleges. We believe undergraduate students who join from T Levels will bring a wealth of experience and practical knowledge from their industry placement which aligns perfectly with our approach to practical learning here at Canterbury Christ Church University.  

Applicants should normally have 32 UCAS Tariff points. We will also welcome applications from students with few or no formal Level 3 qualifications who wish to return to education and applicants may be asked to attend an interview.

Please visit the foundation year page for more information.

If you have been out of education for some time relevant experience will be taken into consideration. Our Course Enquiry Team will be happy to advise.

Generally applicants will be required to have 48 UCAS Tariff points inclusive of at least one A-level or equivalent.

You may be able to demonstrate learning which has occurred in the past by way of certification or experience. This is particularly useful for mature students, who may have substantial experience and who may have taken short courses or professional training. Under normal circumstances, students may claim up to a maximum of 50% of the total credit points required for an award, usually for learning which has occurred during the previous five years.

APL relies solely on the provision of evidence of learning by way of certification from another university or college. Applicants will need to provide appropriate documentation including certificates and details of the awarding body. This process may enable you to build directly onto your existing learning if you are choosing a programme of study within the same discipline. Applicants should apply via UCAS.

Non-UK qualifications equivalent to Level 3 study in the UK, GCSEs and the others mentioned above are accepted by the University.

Further information on the equivalence of non-UK qualifications can be obtained from International Admissions, email: international.admissions@canterbury.ac.uk. If you are based overseas, from your local British Council office.

Students who have completed their course of study and become eligible for an award may obtain a supplementary document, called a European Diploma Supplement, which provides information about the award to universities and employers in other European countries.