Are you thinking about becoming a teacher? We offer a number of routes into teaching at Canterbury Christ Church University.

Routes into teaching


If you don't already have a degree, you can apply for one of our undergraduate teaching courses which lead to recommended Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in three years. Our full-time courses leading to QTS include Primary Education, Primary Education with Mathematics Specialism and Mathematics and Secondary Education. We also offer Primary Education (part-time), applying through us.

If you'd like to study on one of our full-time undergraduate teacher training courses, you can apply through the government's Get Into Teaching website in the same way you would apply for any other undergraduate course. 


Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)

If you already have a first degree, we offer primary, secondary and further education PGCE courses allowing you to qualify as a teacher in one year. Find out more, including our part-time options available, on our postgraduate course listings.

Applications for postgraduate teacher training courses at Canterbury Christ Church University can be completed and submitted via postgraduate teacher training. In your application you'll be asked to give details of your qualifications, write a personal statement and provide details for two referees.

There are two phases on the application: Apply 1 and Apply 2.

Apply 1: This is where you'll submit your first application. You can apply to up to three choices.

Apply 2: If you are unsuccessful in Apply 1, you can use Apply 2. You can add one choice at a time.

Once you’ve chosen the right course for you, the Get Into Teaching website. There you will find step-by-step information on completing your application, writing a personal statement and more.

Assessment Only for Qualified Teacher Status 

If you've been employed as an unqualified teacher, with at least two years' experience and an undergraduate degree, you can apply for our Assessment Only for Qualified Teacher Status course. You can apply directly to us. Please visit the course page for more information on applying. 

Diploma/ProfGCE in Education and Training 

If you're already working in the further education and skills sector, the Diploma/ProfGCE in Education and Training is offered at partner colleges. This course offers a route to apply for Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status, and you can apply directly to your preferred partner college. Once you've been offered a place by the college, you'll then need to apply to us separately.

You can find out more about where this course is offered and how to apply on the course page.

Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults)

Cambridge CELTA is an internationally recognised teaching certificate. There are CELTA centres world-wide, all running a similar programme and all moderated by Cambridge English Language Assessment, which is part of The University of Cambridge.

You can find out more about this course and how to apply on the course page.

MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languges)

As the generally accepted highest academic degree in the field, an MA TESOL demonstrates knowledge and understanding of English language teaching, a familiarity with a range of relevant literature and an ability to research and to present informed discussions and ideas on related subjects.

You can find out more about this course and how to apply on the course page.

Subject Knowledge Enhancement 

These flexible courses are designed to strengthen and enhance your existing knowledge and expertise to prepare you for new teaching challenges - including starting a formal teacher training course. Find out more on our SKE page.

We aim to respond to your teacher training application within 48 working hours.