Private rented housing
See what help is available to you when looking for your off-campus student home.
Living in Canterbury
When looking for private rented housing in Canterbury, we recommend using Home Stamp. This free accredited service helps you to search for a variety of student accommodation from houses, flats, apartments and lodgings.
What is Home Stamp?
- Home Stamp is managed by Kent Students' Union and is the only official source of accredited student accommodation in Canterbury.
- It accredits properties that are managed by landlords who are concerned for your health, safety and welfare; this ensures all properties meet our expected standards.
- Follow Home Stamp on Facebook to find flatmates in the local area.
- Landlords who have the Home Stamp seal of approval have agreed to follow a certain Code of Conduct to ensure the fair and efficient management of their properties.
Find private rented housing using Home Stamp.
Living in Medway
If you want to live in a local house, flat or lodgings while you study at Medway, we can point you in the right direction.
- Contact Liberty Living directly to see if they have any rooms available in other flats.
- Check Studentpad, an online student accommodation service. You will find a wide variety of properties advertised on the site, from bedsits to shared houses.
- Search StudentTenant to find properties, set up viewings with landlords and securely book.
- Medway Council run an accreditation scheme and detail accommodation on offer to students.
The University has not visited, inspected or approved the accommodation offered by local landlords and letting agents advertising on the StudentTenant site or other external providers. Prospective tenants should therefore expect variations in the suitability and possibly the standards of the housing offered. The University does not accept any liability or responsibility for the quality of the accommodation offered or the services provided by these landlords or agents or the content of any external websites.
Private renting tips and advice
Coming to University may be your first experience of living away from home, and/or living in private rented housing. This is exciting and fun, but also daunting and complicated, and there are many aspects you need to consider.
Read the student friendly guide, Looking, Living, Leaving, to find out about renting as a student.
The following links may be of use for private rented housing: