Private Sector Housing

Private Sector accommodation

See what help is available to you when looking for your off-campus student home.

Home Stamp

This free service helps you to search for a variety of student accommodation from houses, flats, apartments and lodgings. Find your accommodation today.

Further information:

  • Home Stamp, managed by Kent Students' Union, is the only official source of accredited student accommodation in Canterbury.
  • Home Stamp only accredits properties that are managed by landlords who are concerned for your health, safety and welfare; this ensures all properties meet our expected standards.
  • Message Board, a free advertising facility for students only.
  • Landlords who have the Home Stamp of approval have agreed to follow a certain Code of Conduct to ensure the fair and efficient management of their properties.

  Accommodation Fairs

We hold an Accommodation Fair once a year usually at University of Kent in January  / February.

Come along to the Fair where you can meet accredited landlords and reputable estate agents and arrange viewings before committing to a contract. We also hold events with the students union to help you find housemates. 

Your one-stop guide to living off campus

Coming to University may be your first experience of living away from home, and living in the private rented sector. This is exciting and fun, but also daunting and complicated.

Looking, Living, Leaving is a student friendly guide about renting in the private sector.

Take a look at the Looking, Living, Leaving guide.

Tips for finding your private sector accommodation:

  • It is important not to be pressured into signing up for accommodation in the private sector too quickly. 
  • During your first term you will need to concentrate on settling into your new life at University and making friends and the best time to start looking should be after the Christmas/ New Year break. 

Advice and mediation

Our  Student Support, Health and Wellbeing  team are here to provide advice and support to you when living in private accommodation. 

The University has set up a Mediation service and this may be a useful tool for you to use if you have a dispute.

The following links may be of use for Private sector issues: 

Non-Guaranteed Students

2nd and 3rd year undergraduates and postgraduates who are finding it difficult to find accommodation in the private sector and who aren’t guaranteed accommodation can still apply

Your application will go on to a waiting list but once the main allocations and offers have been sent we will then start working on this list and may be able to offer you accommodation.


Connect with us

Last edited: 05/12/2017 00:21:00