Travelling to the UK

Before you travel

Coming to study and live in the UK is an exciting time and we want you to enjoy your stay. To help you get ready for your journey we’ve put together some top tips.

Student visa

Check that you have the correct visa before you travel to the UK, visit our visa and immigration pages for details or visit the GOV.UK website.

A place to live

At Christ Church we offer a range of student accommodation, make sure you have organised somewhere to live before you start your trip.

Health insurance

Check you have health insurance to cover you for any healthcare you may need while in the UK.

Here is a guide:

EU students

You'll need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which will entitle you to free or reduced healthcare from the National Health Service (NHS) while you are in the UK. If you don't already have one, you can apply for one through your home country's national health insurance provider.

Non-EU students

If you're a student from a country outside the EU, you'll have to pay a health surcharge as part of your visa application. This will give you access to the National Health Service (NHS) during your stay. Also check any health insurance you may have, as that may also cover you while you are abroad.

Tuition fees and living costs

Make all the necessary financial arrangements to pay your fees and have enough money for your living expenses, such as food and rent.

Get to know the area

Discover where you will be studying and explore the local area by using our Virtual Tour. Find out what’s on in Canterbury, Medway or Tonbridge Wells and check our Students’ Union events, societies and sports clubs so you can start to make friends and feel part of the student community.

Arriving in the UK

Studying in the UK for up to 6 months

If you are studying with us in the UK for up to 6 months and you are from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America, you will need to see an officer for a stamp in your passport when you arrive at the airport. This stamp gives you the permission needed to study in the UK.

Studying in the UK for more than 6 months

Using the eGates: Eligible nationals from EU, EEA, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the United States of America with a visa or a student biometric residence permit to allow you to study, can use the airport’s eGates. You will not required to complete or present a landing card. If you are travelling on your National Identity card (EU/EEA only) or your passport doesn’t have a biometric chip, you will need to see an officer at the airport for a stamp.

If you are joining us from Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the USA, Japan, Singapore or South Korea andare intending to rent an entire property from a letting agent or private landlord or intend to rent a room (as a lodger) from a private landlord or a host family, you will need to retain evidence that you travelled to or entered the UK within the last six months.

This evidence has to be presented to the landlord, letting agent or host family with your passport as you may not be able to rent without it. This is because you will not receive a stamp in their passport on arrival. Acceptable evidence of entry to the UK may include a boarding card, ticket or booking confirmation for travel to the UK within the last six months. Any other documentary evidence which establishes their date of arrival in the UK is also acceptable. A photocopy, photograph, screenshot or scanned copy of the evidence that includes the travellers name and/or passport number is acceptable. International students can also see an officer on arrival to get a stamp in their passport as evidence of their entry.

Contact us


Connect with us

Last edited: 31/03/2020 12:01:00