Graduation Privacy Notice
In order to arrange your Graduation or Award ceremony we, the Student Operations Office, will need to process and store personal data. We will process and store personal information in accordance with the data protection legislation and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
What information do we collect about you?
Most data we process and store about you is drawn from your student record. We process and store data including your name, contact details, qualifications which you are awarded and academic record while at the University. We do not process data on your date of birth, ethnicity, or ID photograph.
You will be asked to confirm if you or your guests require special arrangements in order to attend the ceremony via the online RSVP. Disclosed personal data relating to disabilities and special arrangements for guests will be processed directly by the Student Operations Office. Disclosed personal data relating to disabilities and special arrangements for students will be processed by the Student Support and Wellbeing Office and only relevant information passed to the Student Operations Office.
How do we use the information we collect about you?
We will process your data in order to:
- identify which ceremony you are eligible to attend and make necessary arrangements for the conferment of your award (including arranging your gown and compiling the graduation ceremony programme)
- send you invites via your personal and CCCU email addresses;
- agree special arrangements if you or your guests need these to attend your graduation/award ceremony.
Storing your personal data
We store the data that we process (including your name, details of your contact details, your academic record while at Christ Church University, including details of any degrees which you are awarded, personal data on any disabilities that are disclosed to the Graduation Team and any email correspondence) for 2 years.
Sharing your personal data
We share your data including award title, surname and student ID with Ede and Ravenscroft the university official gown suppliers to confirm the appropriate gown for your award.
Graduation and Award Ceremony Programme
Your student name will be listed underneath your award title and subject within the Graduation/Award Ceremony programme published by the University. Classifications are not published. The programme is distributed to all those who attend on the day of graduation.
If you do not wish for your name to appear underneath your award title and subject in the Graduation/Award ceremony programme please email email@example.com at least 6 weeks before your ceremony after which programmes are confirmed and printed and no changes can be made.
During the ceremony
Graduation and Award Ceremonies are public events with official photography taken and live streaming broadcast on campus, online and available for download after the event.
All attendees (Graduands, guests and staff) please note that in order to attend the ceremony the following are mandatory conditions:
- Your name will be called out during the ceremony prior to you ascending the platform at the Cathedral (stage at an Award Ceremony). Your classification will not be read out unless you have received a First Class Honours or a Distinction.
- Your photograph will be taken at the point that you ‘receive’ your award and shake the hand of the Presiding Officer.
- The university’s official photographers will take generic crowd shots (which may include you or your guests) at all venues and receptions. For individual/smaller group shots the photographer will seek your consent before taking the photograph. You should advise the photographer before any photo is taken if you do not wish to be photographed.
- All ceremonies are live streamed to the university website, on screens around campus and via social media at the time of the ceremony. Recordings of ceremonies will be available online to download after the event.
- At some ceremonies television/radio companies may be present to interview our Honourary Graduands or record the event, if you do not wish to appear on the television/radio please keep your distance from any filming/recording that may take place.
- Live stream recordings and photographs may be used in the future to promote activities of Canterbury Christ Church University. Live stream recordings may be screened at post-graduation university events and generic photographs may be used within web or printed promotional materials.
- The university appoints a specialist company to ensure that guests and students requiring special arrangements receive tailored support in terms of accessing, navigating and exiting our venues on the day of the graduation. You may be required to provide proof of status e.g. registered carer status for a carer’s tickets. We will discuss your requirements with you upon receiving a request for special arrangements and if necessary, with your consent, we may share information with the third party on the day of your ceremony so that they are able to support you as necessary.
If you have any queries or concerns regarding the use of your personal data in regard to your Graduation/Award Ceremony please email firstname.lastname@example.org.