This service provides support for students undertaking research or other extended studies, and allows items to be borrowed from other libraries.
Your item can take 2-3 weeks or more to arrive, so plan ahead if you can. If you need an update on your request, please contact the document delivery team.
In response to COVID-19, charges for the document delivery service have been removed until 31st August 2020. This makes the service free to use for all students but existing limits on the number of document delivery requests remain unchanged.
Who can use the service?
The document delivery service usually costs £2.00 per request for undergraduate students. However to support you during the current Covid-19 measures, we are removing all charges from this service until the 31 August.
You can request up to 25 items (for taught MA/MSc courses) or 50 items (for research MPhil/PhD) per academic year.
If the item is requested for research of a commercial nature, you must include this information when placing your request as there may be an additional charge.
Making a request
Log in to LibrarySearch, click the link to Document Delivery Request and follow the on-screen instructions.
Before making a request, please check LibrarySearch to make sure the item is not held in one of the University libraries. Check whether the item is freely available online using a search engine, such as Google Scholar.
If you have any queries relating to the document delivery service, please contact the document delivery team.
Once your item has arrived
Articles and book chapters
Articles and chapters from the British Library will be supplied in digital format where available (unless you specifically request a printed copy). Once the document is supplied, you will receive an email with the link to the document. You will also need to register with the British Library On Demand service to view the document, more detailed instructions for registering and opening digital items are included with the email.
Books, theses, and other loan items
We will email you when your requested item arrives at the library. Collect your item from the Library point (Augustine House) or Issue Desk (Salomons) during staffed hours. It is not possible to use the self-service machines for these items.
If you are borrowing a thesis from another library, an additional copyright declaration may need be signed at this stage.
Renewals, returns and recalls
- The length of a loan is decided by the library that supplies the item to us. The loan period is usually around 4 weeks.
- Some books and theses are lent to us on the condition that they are only used within the Library.
- Document Delivery items will not automatically renew.
- Document Delivery items cannot usually be renewed beyond the date indicated. However, if you would like us to check with the lender if a renewal is possible, please contact the document delivery team. at least five working days before your item is due back.
- A document delivery loan can be recalled from you at the request of the supplying library. Once recalled, the loan cannot be renewed and must be returned by the due date.
- The fine for late returns is £1 per day per item.
Return document delivery items to the Library point (Augustine House) or Issue Desk (Salomons) during staffed hours by the due date indicated on the slip inside the item. It is not possible for you to use the self-service machines for these items.
Lost or damaged items
If an item you have borrowed is lost, damaged, or not returned, the lending library will levy a charge, which we are obliged to pass on to you. This may include replacement costs and administration fees.