Attending all your classes will enable you to get the most out of your academic studies and will increase your chances of success.
By registering your attendance, we will notice if you have missed any timetabled sessions and if we might need to offer any sort of support to get you back on track.
We understand that from time to time there may be a good reason why you are unable to make it to one of your classes. If that is going to be the case, please inform your Programme team in advance so the lecturer knows how many students to expect.
Please note that we may need to provide information about your attendance if we are approached to supply you with a reference.
Registering your attendance electronically - for students with an Individual Student Timetable
If you have an Individual Student Timetable (i.e. you can check the Student Portal or the calendar that comes with your University email account to see where/when your classes are due to take place), we ask that you register your own attendance at your lectures, seminars and other taught classes by ‘tapping in’ with your Smartcard (the same way you would use your debit card to make a contactless payment).
Registering your attendance electronically enables teaching staff to focus more of their time on the things that really matter to you, e.g. planning and delivering great classes.
Look out for the black Smartcard reader at the entrance of lecture theatres and teaching rooms. Each time you tap in, there will be a ‘bleep’ and the LED light on the Smartcard reader will flash blue briefly to indicate that your attendance has been successfully recorded.
Please remember the following:
- You will be expected to tap in for each separate timetabled session. So, if you were to have a seminar in RWg15 from 9-10am followed by another seminar in RWg15 from 10am-11am, you would need to tap in at both 9am and 10am.
- You are able to tap into a class up to 15 minutes before it is timetabled to begin, and any time thereafter until it is due to end.
- You don’t need to tap out when the class finishes. If you do, the system will record that you did so but it won’t affect your attendance record either way.
- If you don’t tap in, your attendance at that class will not be recorded. So if you’ve forgotten your Smartcard, please still attend your classes but remember to bring it next time.
- When tapping in, keep your Smartcard separate from any credit cards/Oyster cards etc, to make sure only the correct one is scanned by the Smartcard reader.
- If you have, or have ever had, more than one Smartcard, only the most recent one will be recognised by the attendance system. If in doubt, take your card or cards to the i-Zone who will be able to check that you are using the correct one.
- If you lose your Smartcard, visit the i-zone as soon as possible to get a replacement. Each replacement card costs £8. If you are are issued with a new Smartcard, your old one will be de-activated so please make sure you are tapping in with the correct card.