Dr Laura Vera Stimpson obtained a first class MSci honours degree in Forensic Science from the University of Kent in 2012. Her MSci research was split between investigating the evidential value of weathered metallic paint samples using Raman spectroscopy and also investigating methods for the identification of heavy metals in soils for Forensic purposes. For this work she received an award from the Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences. This work fuelled her passion for research, therefore she stayed at the University of Kent to complete a PhD in Chemistry, researching the structural and magnetic properties of the layered inorganic compound Ca2Mn3O8, completing this in 2016.
Dr Vera Stimpson taught on the chemistry and Forensic Science programmes at the University of Kent until 2018, after which she was appointed as a lecturer in Forensic Investigation at Canterbury Christchurch University.
Research and knowledge exchange
Dr Vera Stimpson’s research group focuses upon a number of subject areas, including:
- Preparation of novel inorganic materials and the investigation of their physical properties in an attempt to establish structure – property relationships. In addition to understanding how changes to the composition and structure of materials can be exploited to fine tune specific properties within the material of interest, particularly its magnetic properties. Of particular interest are frustrated magnetic systems.
- Developing new approaches to understand the distribution of Gun Shot Residue (GSR).
- Developing methods for the enhancement of latent fingermarks.
Dr Vera Stimpson’s research interests focusses upon materials chemistry and also how we can exploit the benefits of Chemistry to solve issues in Forensic Science, thereby bridging the gap between Forensic Science and Chemistry research.
Teaching and subject expertise
Research lead for Forensic Investigation
Visiting Researcher Fellow at the University of Kent
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Member of the BCA (British Crystallographic Association) since 2013.
Associate member of the RSC (Royal Society of Chemistry) since 2013.
Module leader for Drugs and Toxicology, Research Methods for Forensic Investigation and Introduction to Forensic Chemistry
- 2015 - Poster contribution to the UK Neutron and Muon User Meeting held in Leicestershire, titled "Structural and Magnetic properties of Ca2Mn3O8".
- 2014 - Oral contribution to the Solid State meeting held at the University of Glasgow, titled "Structural and Magnetic properties of Ca2Mn3O8".
- 2014 - Research poster presentation at the ISIS student meeting held in Abingdon titled, "Structural and Magnetic properties of Ca2Mn3O8".
- 2014 - Oral contribution to the School of Physical Sciences research symposium held at the University of Kent, titled "Structural and Magnetic properties of Ca2Mn3O8".
- 2014 - Research poster presentation at Professor CNR Rao 80th birthday symposium held at Burlington House, London titled "Morphological control of magnetic behaviour in Ca2Mn3O8".
- 2014 - Attendance to the UK Neutron and Muon Science user meeting held at the University of Warwick.
- 2013 - Research poster presentation at the Solid State meeting held at the University of Bath, titled "Morphological control of magnetic behaviour in Ca2Mn3O8".
Publications and research outputs
- 2018 - Vera Stimpson, L.J., Powell, J.M., Stenning, G.B., Jura, M. and Arnold, D.C., 2018. Spin-glass behavior in K x R u 4− y N i y O 8 hollandite materials. Physical Review B, 98(17), p.174429. https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.98.174429
- 2018 - Vera Stimpson, L.J., Rodriguez, E.E., Brown, C.M., Stenning, G.B., Jura, M. and Arnold, D.C., 2018. Magnetic ordering in a frustrated bow-tie lattice. Journal of materials chemistry C. https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2018/tc/c7tc05187e#!divAbstract
- 2017 - Vera Stimpson. L. J., Ramos. S., Stenning. G. B. G., Jura. M., Parry. S., Cibin. G., and Arnold. D. C., "Investigation of the role of morphology on the magnetic properties of Ca2Mn3O8 materials", Dalton Trans., 2017, Advance Article. https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/dt/c7dt03053c#!divAbstract
- 2015 - Lennox. R. C., Taylor. D. D., Billinge. J. L., Vera Stimpson. L. J., Stenning. G. B. G, Jura. M., Price. M. C., Rodriguez. E. E. and Arnold. D. C., Dalton Trans., 2015, 44, 10608. https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2015/dt/c5dt00140d#!divAbstract