Dr Hannan Azhar works in the School of Law, Criminal Justice and Computing at the Canterbury Christ Church Univeristy, UK. Previously he worked as a Research Associate in Computer Vision and Image Processing at the University of Kent, UK. In the past he also worked as a faculty at the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology. In 2001, he received the Commonwealth Scholarship by Commonwealth Scholarship Commission, UK to complete an MSc by Research degree in Robotics at the University of Kent, UK where he also obtained his PhD in 2008. Dr. Azhar's PhD was on Artificial Intelligence (AI) techniques applied to pattern recognition tasks. He has been teaching range of modules including Advanced Programming, Web Programming, Operating Systems, Research Methods, Software Engineering, Cloud Computing and Internet of Things.
- Image processing and pattern recognition for wildlife, biometric, forensic and border security applications
- Digital Forensics and Data recovery
- Assitive technologies in crime prevention and policing
- Brain computer interfaces, assistive technologies and robotic systems to enhance the quality of life
- Pervasive computing and ambient intelligence for Internet of Things.
RKE Internships (Completed 2017, 2016)
- A prototype wildlife software used by conservationists in the aid of automatic identification of the Great Crested Newts
- BCI controlled robotic arm as assistance to the rehabilitation of neurologically disabled patients; http://create.canterbury.ac.uk/16366/
- A Wearable Brain-Computer Interface Controlled Robot; http://create.canterbury.ac.uk/15190/
- Mobile Forensics for ephemeral data; http://create.canterbury.ac.uk/15045/
- NeuroRehab , East Kent Hospital , NHS, UK
- School of Engineering and Digital Arts, University of Kent, UK
- Durrell Institute of Conservation and Ecology, University of Kent, UK
Research and knowledge exchange
Editorial Board Member (Associated Editor) (2005- to date):
Engineering Letters, International Association of Engineers. http://www.iaeng.org/online_journals.html ;
ISSN: 1816-0948 (online version); 1816-093X (print version)
- Evaluation of the MPS Predictive Policing Trial ; http://create.canterbury.ac.uk/15974/
- Improvement of the environment control of neurological patients with the help of assistive technologies such as brain computer interface systems.
- Improved Handwriting Recognition Systems (Biometrics)
- Prototype image processing software developed to be used by conservationists and biologists
- Implemented in hardware a novel distributed fully-embedded evolutionary controller (AI) for a population of autonomous mobile robots applied to sensory-motor navigation task
Ongoing Research Projects:
- Zoometrics- Biometric Indentifications for Wild lifes
- Forensics Investigations
- Robotic arms control by BCI
- Wildlife Apps
Publications and research outputs
- Naughton, P. and Azhar, M.A.H.B , "An Investigation on Forensic Opportunities to Recover Evidential Data from Mobile Phones and Personal Computers", in proceedings of CYBER 2017, International Conference on Advances in Cyber-Technologies and Cyber-System, Barcelona, Spain, November,2017; https://www.thinkmind.org/index.php?view=article&articleid=cyber_2017_2_30_80043
- Barton, T. and Azhar, M.A.H.B, "Open Source Forensics for a Multi-platform Drone System", 9th EAI International Conference on Digital Forensics & Cyber Crime, Prague, Springer-Verlag, October 2017; https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-73697-6_6
- Barton, T. and Azhar, M.A.H.B, "Forensic Analysis of Popular UAV Systems", 7th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Security Technologies (EST-2017), IEEE Press, University of Kent, September 2017.
- Azhar, M.A.H.B and Barton, T., "Forensic Analysis of Secure Ephemeral Messaging Applications on Android Platforms" in Springer's Lecture notes of Communications in Computer and Information Science, CCIS volume, 11th International Conference on Global Security, Safety & Sustainability, Greenwich, London, January, 2017.
- Barton, T. and Azhar, M.A.H.B, "Forensic Analysis of the Recovery of Wickr’s Ephemeral Data on Android Platforms" in proceedings of CYBER 2016, International Conference on Advances in Cyber-Technologies and Cyber-System, Venice, Italy, October,2016.
- F. Deravi, C. S. Ang, M. A. H. B. Azhar, A. Al-Wabil,M. Philips, M. Sakel, "Usability and Performance Measure of a Consumer-grade Brain Computer Interface System for Environmental Control by Neurological Patients", International Journal of Engineering and Technology Innovation (IJETI), vol. 5, no. 3, pp.165-177, 2015.
- M. A. H. B. Azhar, S.Hoque, F. Deravi, “Automatic Identification of Wildlife using Local Binary Patterns” IET Image Processing conference, (IPR 2012), University of Westminster, London, UK, 3-4 July, 2012.
- M. A. H. B. Azhar and K. R. Dimond, “Hardware Implementation of a Genetic Controller and Effects of Training on Genetic Evolution” ICES’03, The 5th International Conference on Evolvable Systems: From Biology to Hardware, Springer-Verlag, March 2003, Trondheim, Norway.