We’re here to help you to access all the specialist financial support available, so you can succeed in your studies.

The Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs), are UK government funds to support students with physical and mental disabilities, including dyslexia and dyspraxia.

The funding provided by DSAs can help pay for extra essential costs you may incur as a direct result of your disability. These could range from sign language interpreters and dyslexia tutor sessions, to computer equipment and assistive software.

Disabled Students’ Allowances available

  • Specialist equipment allowance - for any specialist equipment you need because of your disability.
  • Non-medical help allowance - for support workers and other non-medical assistance needed to benefit fully from your course - we can help you to organise this assistance. 
  • Travel allowance - for additional travel costs you pay to get to university or placement as a direct result of your disability.
  • General allowance - for other extra disability-related costs you may have.

EU students and international students

We offer a wide range of practical support for all disabled students.

As the Disabled Student’s Allowances are offered by the UK Government, they’re unfortunately not available if you’re an EU or international student. Any additional support costs need to be covered by you/your sponsor, or a charity/funding body that you find independently.

Please contact the Student Disability Service to discuss the costs of additional support services and different sources of funding.

DSA Drop-In

Student Wellbeing Service holds a virtual drop-in every Thursday, 2-4pm, via Blackboard for students with disabilities and every Wednesday 10am - 3pm, AHg56 for students with mental health conditions. 

If you think you could be eligible, would like help with your application and claiming your support, or just want to find out more about DSA, then please drop in.