17 December 2014
Nearly 90% of research at Canterbury Christ Church University has been recognised as world leading or internationally significant according to national Research Excellence Framework results (REF) published today.
The REF assesses the quality and impact of UK higher education institutions’ research across a wide range of disciplines every six years.
All subject areas submitted to the REF demonstrated world leading research and 88% of the total research submitted was accredited to the top three grades of world leading, internationally excellent or internationally recognised.
In the two subject areas of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Leisure and Tourism and Music, Drama, Dance and Performing Arts over 15% of research work submitted achieved world leading classification.
Vice-Chancellor of Canterbury Christ Church University, Professor Rama Thirunamachandran, said: “This is wonderful news for the University, our staff and our students, whose outstanding research and hard work has achieved these excellent results.
“We have improved our position across all disciplines where research was submitted, as well as having increased the number of staff who submitted entries to the REF by over 90% across a wider range of disciplines. Our research is critical in informing our courses and ensuring they are attractive and relevant to our students as well as enriching our teaching to result in a high quality educational experience.
“We are proud to say that research at Canterbury Christ Church University is ground-breaking, inclusive and making a real difference to everyday challenges that face our local and world communities.”
A copy of the University’s latest Research and Knowledge Exchange Report, ‘Transforming Societies and Improving Lives’, is available to download via the University's website: www.canterbury.ac.uk/about-us/publications.aspx
Notes to Editor
- The assessment criteria and definitions used in the REF are as follows:
- Four Star - Quality that is world-leading in terms of originality, significance and rigour
- Three star - Quality that is internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and rigour but which falls short of the highest standards of excellence
- Two star - Quality that is recognised internationally in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
- One star - Quality that is recognised nationally in terms of originality, significance and rigour
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury Christ Church University is a modern university with a particular strength in higher education for the public services.
With nearly 20,000 students across Kent and Medway, its courses span a wide range of academic and professional subject areas.
- 93% of our most recent UK graduates were in employment or further studies six months after completing their studies*.
- We are the number one choice for local people looking to study at university in Kent (2013 UCAS).
- We are one of the South East’s largest providers of education, training and skills leading to public service careers.
*2012/13 Destination of Leavers from Higher Education survey