20 June 2012
A new university guide has shown that Canterbury Christ Church is one of the top ten safest universities in England and Wales.
The Canterbury Campus at night
The Complete University Guide has published a study of student-relevant crime within a three mile radius of campuses at 103 universities across the country. It showed that Canterbury Christ Church is the second safest university in the South East and the eighth safest in England and Wales.
Professor Sue Piotrowski, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic) at Canterbury Christ Church University, said: “We are delighted to see that Canterbury Christ Church has been identified as the second safest University in the South East, and eight nationally in England and Wales. Students increasingly recognise the importance of feeling safe at University and how this can benefit their overall learning experience.”
In 2011 Canterbury was named as the safest student city in England and Wales. For the first time, this year The Complete University Guide has published crime figures for all universities in England and Wales. In past years it has focused on cities with two or more universities.
For more information visit: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk
Notes to Editor
Notes to editors
- The data, from June 2011 to May 2012, correlate crime and population for wards falling within three miles of the main campus, for burglary, robbery and assault, normalised for population density.
- The ranking is based on the relative levels of crimes of relevance to students for wards that fall partly or entirely within a radius of three miles of the university campus. It does not record crimes in which students are themselves involved.
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury Christ Church University is a modern university with a particular strength in higher education for the public services.
With nearly 20,000 students, and five campuses across Kent and Medway, its courses span a wide range of academic and professional subject areas.
- We are the third highest university in England for graduates in employment, with 94.3% of our most recent UK undergraduates employed or in further study six months after completing their studies.
- Christ Church is the number one choice for local people looking to study at university in Kent (2010 UCAS).
- We are the South East’s largest provider of courses for public service careers (outside of London).
- 2012 is the University’s Golden Jubilee, reflecting on 50 years of higher education and innovation.
*2009/10 Destination of Leavers from Higher Education survey