31 October 2011
Canterbury Christ Church University and the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (CISI) have joined together in a unique partnership to give students an advantage in the job market.
Ruth Martin, Managing Director of CISI and Professor Robin Baker CMG, Vice-Chancellor, signing the Memorandum of Understanding
A Memorandum of Understanding signed by Christ Church and the CISI this week will mean the University’s students will be able to gain an internationally recognised professional qualification, as well as their degree. The CISI’s Investment Advice Diploma (IAD) will be embedded into the University’s Accounting and Finance programme.
The partnership will also give students access to a range of city experts and enable them to start building networks.
This is the first time the CISI, the largest and most widely respected professional body for those who work in the securities and investment industry in the UK, has joined up with a university to embed such a significant qualification at undergraduate level. The IAD is a qualification that can be taken to fulfil regulatory requirements for employment in certain jobs in the sector. The CISI also has a fast growing international presence with over 40,000 members in 89 different countries.
Dr Heather McLaughlin, Principal Lecturer at the University’s Business School and Junior Warden of the Worshipful Company of World Traders, said: “We are delighted to have joined up with the CISI to offer this unique opportunity to our students.
“At the Business School we recognise the need for active practitioner engagement with our programmes, and this partnership will strengthen our links with the City of London, focus on the employability of our students and add an important international dimension.”
Front row, left to right: Dr Heather McLaughlin (Principal Lecturer at the University’s Business School), Ruth Martin (Managing Director of CISI), Professor Robin Baker CMG (Vice-Chancellor), Dr Janet Haddock-Fraser (Dean of Social & Applied Sciences). Back Row, left to right: Stephen Clark TD (Deputy Pro-Chancellor) and Dr John Wenn (Head of Department of Management at the University's Business School).
Ruth Martin, Managing Director of CISI, said: “This is a significant step for the CISI and its many supporters. We believe that the combination of vocational with academic at Canterbury Christ Church will be a compelling and attractive choice for students and, ultimately, employers.”
Notes to Editor
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury Christ Church University is a modern university with a particular strength in higher education for the public services. With nearly 20,000 students, and five campuses across Kent, its courses span a wide range of academic and professional expertise.
- In 2010 the Faculty of Education received ‘outstanding’ grades in its Ofsted report for primary, secondary and post-compulsory programmes, together with its employment-based routes into teaching. The University’s primary provision has the unique record of having been awarded the highest Ofsted grades in all inspections since 1996.
- 94 % of our recent graduates gain employment or are in further study in the first six months after graduating (2009/10 DLHE survey).
- Along with over a thousand undergraduate, postgraduate and professional training courses on offer, we are also home to world-leading and internationally recognised research in Education, History, Music and Sports Related Studies.
- Canterbury Christ Church University was founded in 1962 by the Church of England as a teacher training college
Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment
- The CISI’s mission is to help members attain, maintain and develop their knowledge and skills and to promote the highest standards of ethics and integrity in the securities and investment industry.
- Evolved from the London Stock Exchange, we now have more than 40,000 members in 89 countries. CISI exams are taken by 92% of the world’s banks and in the past year we set almost 40,000 examinations in 75 countries, covering a range of vocational qualifications.
- Based in the City of London, CISI is a global organisation with representative offices in financial centres such as Dublin, Singapore, Dubai, Mumbai and Colombo. We work in close cooperation with regulators, firms and other professional bodies worldwide.
- For further information on the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment contact Lora Benson, Head of Media, London UK Tel: +44 (0) 20 7645 0662/+44 (0)7801 521034 or email@example.com .