Reader and Assistant Director of Research
Back to Staff profiles
Email: Esther Coren
Background and research interests
Esther is a Reader in Evidence based health and social care. She worked for 14 years in community development and in children and families social work and since then has been working in the field of evidence for policy and practice. Esther’s interests are mainly in social inclusion, social justice and inequalities, the impact of arts/music on health and wellbeing, and child and family welfare. She has successfully led several externally funded research projects.
Esther is currently leading on the first known evaluation of a choir for adults with a learning disability in collaboration with East Kent Mencap, as well as a collaborative project with Broadstairs Folk Week examining the impact of a community based festival on health and wellbeing. The author of several Cochrane and Campbell Collaboration systematic reviews, Esther is a co-author on a recently published Cochrane review on Singing for adults with COPD, a draft Cochrane protocol on Singing for Parkinson's disease and a Campbell Collaboration project in development on arts interventions in criminal justice settings.
Esther has been in the role of Assistant Director of Research for the Sidney De Haan Research Centre for Arts and Health since December 2016. She is an associate member of the Royal Society for Public Health and a member of the Special Interest Group for Arts and Health. In her private time, to promote her own and others’ wellbeing, Esther sings, tends her garden, practices yoga and pilates, supports women’s empowerment through traditional craft and stitching in India, and is a novice potter.
- Moore, J., Phillips, J., Tallent, J. , Coren, E. (2021) Impacts of participating in a choir on health and wellbeing of adults with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Music, Health and Wellbeing.
- Irons, J. Y., Coren, E., Young, M. K., Stewart, D.E., Gschwandtner, M., Mellick, G.D. (2019) Singing for people with Parkinson's disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2 (CD013279). https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd013279
- Coren, E., Ramsbotham, K., Gschwandtner, M. (2018) Parent training interventions for parents with intellectual disability. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Issue7. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD007987
- Barlow, J. and Coren, E. (2017) The effectiveness of parenting programmes: a review of Campbell reviews. Research on Social Work Practice. ISSN 1049-7315. (In Press)
- McNamara, R., Epsley, C., Coren, E. and McKeough, Z. (2016) Singing for adults with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 7 (Art. N).
- Coren, E., Hossain, R., Pardo Pardo, J. and Bakker, B. (2016) Interventions for promoting reintegration and reducing harmful behaviour and lifestyles in street-connected children and young people (Review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2016 (1). ISSN 1469-493X.
- Weed, M. E., Coren, E., Fiore, J., Wellard, I., Chatziefstathiou, D. and Suzanne, D. (2015) The Olympic Games and raising sports participation: a systematic review of evidence and an interrogation of policy for a demonstration effect. European Sport Management Quarterly, 15 (2). ISSN 1618-4742.
- Franklin, P., Hossain, R. and Coren, E. (2014) Using social media to widen young people’s participation in social work education: final report for Nominettrust. Project Report.
- Coren, E., Hossain, R., Ramsbotham, K., Martin, A. and Pardo Pardo, J. (2014) Engagement-related process factors in services for street-connected children and young people in low and middle income countries: a thematic synthesis. Research Report. London: International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie).
- Bressington, D., Coren, E. and MacInnes, D. L. (2013) The effects of training mental health practitioners in medication management to address nonadherence: a systematic review of clinician-related outcomes. Nursing: Research and Reviews, 3. pp. 87-98. ISSN 2230-522X.
- Coren, E., Hossain, R., Pardo Pardo, J., Veras, M., Chakraborty, K., Harris, H. and Martin, A. (2013) Interventions for promoting reintegration and reducing harmful behaviour and lifestyles in street-connected children and young people. The Cochrane Library.
- Coren, E. and Hossain, R. (2012) Interventions for promoting reintegration and reducing harmful behaviour and lifestyles in street-connected children and young people (Protocol). The Cochrane Library (4).
- Barlow, J., Smailagic, N, Bennett, C., Huband, N., Jones, H. and Coren, E. (2011) Individual and group based parenting programmes for improving psychosocial outcomes for teenage parents and their children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. ISSN 1469-493X.