Borrowing and returning
Our print and audio visual items can be borrowed by anyone with a University smartcard or Library Card.
Exceptions are journals and items marked as Reference, which can't be borrowed, and Special Collections, including theses, which are not available on open shelves. To borrow items you will need your smartcard. Self-service machines are available at all our libraries.
What you can borrow
Students and staff can borrow:
- 20 items from the 4-week loan Collection
- 6 items from the 7-day loan Collection
- 2 items from the 24-hour loan Collection
- 20 items from the Curriculum Resources Collection
Students eligible for extended loans (by arrangement with the Student Disability Service) will have 7-day loans issued for 14 days.
External borrowers (including SCONUL Access, Alumni, Ex Staff (retired), full fee members, collaborative partners) can borrow:
- 5 items (4-week loan)
- 5 items from the Curriculum Resources Collection
How long you can borrow
All loans, except for 24-hour loan items, will be renewed automatically on a rolling basis (in accordance with the loan period of the item), unless the item is reserved by another user.
24-hour loans are not reservable and not renewable.
If your loan has been requested then it will not be renewed; you will be notified that the loan will need returning.
If you encounter any problems then please contact us as soon as possible for assistance.
Keeping track of what you have out on loan
You can log into your LibrarySearch library account online for a list of items you have on loan.
A monthly statement with details of items on loan will be sent to you so that you can keep track of the items you have on loan and decide if you need to return those that you don’t need any longer.
It is important you check your monthly borrowing statement and library account regularly so that you know when your items are due for return.
What happens when someone requests an item you have on loan
Once the book has been requested, you will receive an email to let you know and to advise you to return the item. At that point, the item will stop being renewed and the due date will be the date for you to return the item.
If the reservation is satisfied before you bring your copy back, the loan will be automatically renewed again.
How to return items
You can return items to a campus library; items do not have to be returned to the library they were borrowed from.
Items can be returned:
- through a self returns machine
- by bringing items to the staffed desks.
- If you are having difficulty getting to the Library to return books, you can post them to your home library. You are responsible for the book until it is returned so we recommend that you get proof of postage.We will take the return date as being the date your parcel was date stamped by the postal service.