SCONUL Access is a co-operative venture between most of the higher education libraries of the UK and Ireland.
Who can join?
Sconul Access is available for:
- staff on open or fixed term contracts
- postgraduate research students registered for a PhD, MPhil or a similar qualification
- part-time, distance learning and placement students
- full time postgraduates
Sconul Access does not offer borrowing privileges to full time undergraduates. However, some institutions offer reference only access. Please check with the institution for more information or the check the SCONUL Access website.
How do I join?
- Apply online.
- To qualify for SCONUL Access you must be registered as a library user in good standing (i.e. having no debts at your home library or overdue items).
- Once your application has been processed you will receive an email which will confirm your membership. You must take a copy of this email to the library you are visiting within 3 weeks of receiving it.
What can Sconul offer?
- SCONUL Access users may apply to borrow books from the host library's general lending stock. You should expect that the host library will restrict the number and the range of materials that you can borrow. For example, a host library may limit the number of books you can borrow and will not permit you to borrow from the short (restricted) loan or DVD collections. Be prepared to abide by the rules of the library you wish to use. You will be responsible for any fines or replacement costs incurred.
- SCONUL Access does not provide automatic rights to access computer facilities: this includes access to electronic journals and databases to which the host library subscribes. Many members do however provide some electronic access- check their websites for details.
- Please note that borrowing access to the University of Kent - Templeman Library is only available via the SCONUL Access scheme. Please take identification that includes your name and address and register at the Library's reception desk on arrival.
For more information please see the user guide.