The Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice
What is the PGCAP?
The Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice is a Master’s level programme designed to provide a theoretical and practical grounding in learning, teaching and assessment for those involved in teaching, facilitating learning and supporting students in higher education.Successful completion of the PGCAP provides eligibility for a Fellowship of Advance HE (formerly known as the Higher Education Academy) through the University’s internal accreditation route.
What does it cover?
The programme has three parts:
- The programme is accredited by Advance HE.
- Successful completion provides eligibility to apply for Fellowship of Advance HE through the University’s internal accreditation programme.
- Participants successfully completing the Introduction to Facilitating Learning and Teaching module will be awarded the Associate Fellowship of Advance HE.
Support for participants
- The programme team and programme mentors will provide personal tutor support to all participants.
- Support will be provided by individual, group and online mentoring.
- If you teach on a CCCU validated award you will also be supported by your Faculty Director of Learning and Teaching, as part of the Academic Professional Development Framework.
What are the entry requirements?
- All applicants should have a degree or equivalent to undertake the PGCAP.
- You should also have sufficient teaching and facilitating/supporting learning opportunities in order to engage in the activities putting theory into practice.
The applicant must also have sufficient teaching and supporting learning opportunities at HE Foundation level, level 4 or above to engage with the critical reflective practice and observed teaching. This is flexible but would normally require the applicant to have a minimum of one teaching or learning facilitation/support opportunity per week.
Is the PGCAP for you?
Typically participants will hold and have the following roles and experience:
- in an academic-related and/or facilitation/support role holding substantive teaching and learning responsibilities
- an experienced member of staff relatively new to higher education
- a member of staff with (sometimes significant) teaching-only responsibilities including, for example, within work-based settings
The PGCAP total cost is £2,600, this will be waived for those contracted for 100 hours or more.
Exemptions from fees apply to staff teaching on or supporting CCCU validated awards particularly where undertaking the course is a contractual obligation.
If you are unsure whether you are eligible for exemption from fees, please speak to your line manager.
Local arrangements with partner providers are also in force.
Apply Direct / Part-time study
|Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice
||15 months part-time