The Centre for Career & Personal Development (CCPD) is committed to providing high quality research of both an academic and applied nature in areas related to career and personal development.
Staff at the Centre are engaged with meeting research and development needs posed by the current policy agenda alongside their own academic interests.
We are involved in the development of evidence-based practice and in undertaking new and collaborative projects that lead to the advancement of theory, policy and practice in the guidance field. The Centre recognises the importance of disseminating findings to inform practitioners, the wider community, policy-makers, academics and other professionals. Staff at the Centre publish their work in books, and professional and academic journals; present papers at national and international conferences and contribute to occasional papers.
Our staff have well established links with colleagues in other universities and undertake collaborative research. Staff are also active members of a number of professional associations’ research committees, including the International Journal for Educational and Vocational Guidance (journal of the IAEVG) and the Network for Innovation in Career Counselling (NICE).
CCPD research activities currently focus on:
- Developing narrative approach for career guidance interviews;
- Examining issues facing young people related to prolonged transitions into the labour market;
- Exploring the place of identity on career choices;
- Developing accessible approaches to reflective practice.
CCPD knowledge exchange projects currently include:
- Erasmus+ project with five other universities across Europe developing careers services and processes of RPL for young refugees;
- Erasmus+ project with five other universities across Europe developing training programmes for careers practitioners to work effectively with refugees and asylum seeker;
- NCOP project to support access to higher education for young people from non-traditional backgrounds.
The research interests of members of staff can be viewed on this website, see ‘Our staff’. Further details may be obtained by contacting individuals directly.