Student Staff Liaison
American Studies Student Staff Liaison (SSL) – Become a Student Rep!
Why do we have Student Representatives?
- To help foster good communication between students and staff
- To enable students to provide critical commentary on their total student experience
- To offer a less formal complaints system to solve problems quickly and efficiently
- To allow students to praise staff for making positive contributions to their education
- To give students valuable insight into the way the university works and an input into their own studies
- To develop students’ negotiating and team building skills – all of which looks great on a CV!
What do you do as a Student Representative?
- Undergo training organised through the Student Union
- Attend two or three SSL meetings per academic year
- Be invited to put items on the agenda for these SSL meetings
- Identify and represent students’ needs and issues within American Studies at SSL meetings with your tutors
- Consult and report back to students any outcomes