We have an active postgraduate research community and each year we offer scholarship through the University PhD scholarship scheme. We welcome applications from students wishing to undertake a postgraduate research degree (MPhil and PhD) in the general areas of media and cultural studies as well as film studies. We welcome both traditional written postgraduate research as well as practice-based projects. We have particular research strengths in the following fields:
- Cultural studies
- Social media
- Digital media
- Film studies
- Sound studies
- Film making
- Graphic design
Please visit the graduate school for further information about how to apply or contact us. For individual staff specialisms see here.
Current Postgraduate Students
View our current postgraduate student profiles
Recent PhD Students
- Todd Dedman, 'Subcultures, Hegemony and Ideology - An empirical study of Hip-Hop and Grime in the lives of young people in the UK'
- Rigas Goulimaris, 'Perceptions of Television News Production and Consumption: "Super-Themes" in the Greek Media Landscape at the Dawn of the 21st Century'
- Gemma Commane, 'The Transfigured Body: Fetish, Fashion and Performance'
- Rita Mahendru, 'Pure and Impure Spaces: A Qualitative Study on the Social and Sexual Lives of Young British Indians living in London'
- Karen Rodriguez, 'City on the Couch: A Psychoanalysis of a Small Mexican City'
- Cara Robinson, 'Illegal Drug Use, Deviancy and Social Exclusion amongst Youth'
- Huw Blacker, 'Relationships, Hostels and Practice: An Ethnographic Study'