Pre-PhD Preparation Programme - China & Algeria
Preparation for students applying for PhDs in the UK.
The initial version of the programme was delivered for the Ministry of Education, Government of Algeria. Over the 4-year period 2016-2019, over 300 national scholarship students with masters degrees in English passed through the programme and progressed onto PhDs in the UK ranging across Anglophone & Francophone Literature & Cultural Studies, Intercultural Communication, Applied Linguistics, and Language Education.
In 2020 another version of this programme was begun in collaboration with the Communication University of China, Nanjing. It is principally for the institution’s staff members aiming to take a PhD supervised at Christ Church, but undertaken largely on-line in China helped by residential semesters in Canterbury.
A typical programme runs for c.16 teaching weeks and consists of the following:
- advanced English, focusing on academic language & skills for research
- research methods across a range of subject areas
- proposal writing
- subject ‘pitches’ by researchers from different subject areas and advice on prospective projects
- access to CCCU Library and other resources
- individual tutorials to help formulate an appropriate project
- assistance in the application process and placement with supervisors
The contents of the programme can be adapted to suit the needs of other institutional partners.
For more information
Kevin Balchin, Director of the Centre for Language and Linguistics at Canterbury Christ Church University