EU Post Brexit Arrangements

Here at Canterbury Christ Church University our staff and our students from across the EU are, and will continue to be, extremely important members of our diverse and multi-cultural University community. They make a significant contribution to who we are, what we stand for, and our long-term commitment to internationalisation.

Christ Church is at the forefront of analysis of the local impact of our exit from the EU across different sectors, including business and commerce, agriculture, healthcare, local government, and policing and security. More details are available on the CEFEUS webpages.

Information following the end of the transition period.

You may need to do extra things before you travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, such as:

  • check your passport
  • get travel insurance that covers your healthcare
  • check you have the right driving documents
  • organise pet travel - contact your vet at least 1 month before you go

There are more things to do if you’re travelling for business. For example, going to meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music.

Check the travel advice for the country you’re visiting for the latest information.

More information is available on the GOV.UK website.

EUEEA and Swiss citizens can travel to the UK for holidays or short trips without needing a visa. You can cross the UK border using a valid passport which should be valid for the whole time you are in the UK.

You will not be able to use an EUEEA or Swiss national ID card to enter the UK from 1 October 2021 unless you:

In these cases, you can continue to use your national ID card to enter the UK until at least 31 December 2025.

You must have the correct documents to show at the UK border if you’re travelling to the UK. You cannot use any documents to enter the UK that are not listed here.

In other cases, find out if you need to apply for a visa to enter the UK.

If you’re a non-EEA family member of an EUEEA or Swiss citizen

You need a valid national passport, and one of the following:

  • an EU Settlement Scheme family permit
  • UK-issued EEA family permit
  • UK-issued biometric residence card

You cannot use an Article 10 or Article 20 residence card issued by an EEA member state.

You can find out more on the GOV.UK website.

The Government's EU Settlement Scheme enables EU citizens and their family members living in the UK to continue living here after the UK withdraws from the EU, with the same rights as they have now.

The deadline for applying for settled status is 30 June 2021. 

More information about eligibility and the application process can be found on the GOV.UK website.

As a result of the UK leaving the European Union, changes have been made to the tuition fees that EU, EEA and Swiss nationals will pay to study in the UK.

Existing EU students continuing a course into 2021/22

If you’re an eligible student assessed as a 'UK or 'EU' fee-payer in the academic year 2020/21 or earlier, you will pay the same tuition fees for the entirety of your course and you won’t see any changes to your loan eligibility. 

This is a result of UK Government guarantees.


New EU students starting in 2021/22 (excluding Republic of Ireland)

The UK Government has confirmed tuition fee and student loan arrangements for EU, EEA and Swiss students starting courses in the academic year 2021/2022.

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss national without settled (or pre-settled) status in the UK, starting a course in the academic year 2021/22 or later years, you will no longer be eligible for the same tuition fees as UK students.  Instead, you’ll pay the same fees as an international student.  You won’t be eligible for undergraduate, postgraduate or advanced learner financial support or loans from Student Finance England.

However, if you are an EU, EEA or Swiss national starting your programme in the academic year 2021/22 only, our EEA National Transition Scholarship (2021/22) will be automatically applied,reducing your fees to the same amount paid by UK students.

Further details about the EEA National Transition Scholarship (2021/22) can be found here.


New EU students starting in 2021/22 with pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme

Those with pre-settled or settled status will qualify as a home student (paying the same fees as UK students) if they have 3 years’ residency in the UK/EEA/Gibraltar/Switzerland immediately prior to the start of their course.


Tuition fee deposits

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss national without pre-settled or settled status in the UK starting a course from August 2021, you’ll need to pay a tuition fee deposit, in line with our requirement for international students.


Exemptions (including Republic of Ireland)

The changes in student fees and funding will not affect you if you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss national benefitting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively. 

The changes will also not affect you if you’re an Irish national living in the UK or Ireland. Your right to study and access benefits and services will be preserved on a reciprocal basis for UK and Irish nationals under the Common Travel Area arrangement

In general, you’ll continue to be required to meet the same criteria as UK nationals to be eligible for UK fees and funding.

External Help:

To enable you to continue living here after the UK withdraws from the EU, with the same rights as you have now, you will need to apply for settled status under the Government's EU Settlement Scheme.

The deadline for applying for settled status is 30 June 2021. More information about eligibility and the application process can be found on the GOV.UK website.

The UK will not be taking part in the future Erasmus+ programme, the new Turing scheme will support thousands of students to study and work abroad from September 2021.

Following the announcement in December of the new scheme, a website is now live with funding and eligibility details so that universities, colleges and schools can prepare for bids to open in Spring. 

The scheme will look to target students from disadvantaged backgrounds.

The government has announced that the UK will associate to Horizon Europe, that will run from 2021 to 2027.

Association will give UK scientists, researchers and businesses access to funding under the programme on equivalent terms as organisations in EU countries.

More information about EU research funding can be found on the  UK Research and Innovation website. 

Information on this page is accurate to the best of the University's knowledge and based on advice from the UK Government and national bodies for universities. However, we reserve the right to update and amend information as we seek further clarification on questions arising from the referendum.


Connect with us

Last edited: 09/02/2021 09:31:00