2015/16 entry financial support

There are a number of ways you can support yourself as a student at university - including loans, grants, savings and wages.

Standard University Criteria

As a quick guide, to qualify for the University Bursary students must:

  • have a household income of £25,000 per annum or less
  • be ordinarily resident in England or be an EU student
  • be paying fees in excess of £6,000 per annum, or £4,500 (studying at 25% intensity) if part time (with the exception of the Care Leavers’ Bursary)
  • meet any additional eligibility criteria for our scholarships or bursaries
  • not be an NHS student and usually not Social Work students (with the exception of the Care Leavers' Bursary)
  • Where a fee above the basic fee of £6,000 full-time equivalent is to be charged, the financial support measures will apply pro-rata, relative to the level of fee. Pro-rata arrangements will also apply to eligible part-time students.
  • For PGCE and School Direct students, not be receiving a DfE training bursary of £5,000 per year or above or be a salaried student

All awards require income assessment. Please ensure details are shared with us on your Student Finance application.

Please note: If you’re studying for the second time at university, you won’t usually be eligible for tuition fee support if your previous qualification is of the same level or higher than the one you wish to study. Exceptions to this are those studying medicine, NHS funded courses or PGCEs. We will require verification from Student Finance England of income before we offer an award. Students who are in default of a previous loan with the Student Loans Company (Student Finance England) will not qualify for university financial support in the form of the Bursary Scheme.

Are you an international (overseas) student? Please see our International pages for scholarship and bursary information.

The Canterbury Christ Church University Bursary Scheme

1,500 cash bursaries of £3000 over the duration of study (£1,000 per academic year and £1000 for PGCE students).


Students need to:

  • meet standard University criteria
  • be an undergraduate or PGCE student
  • not be in receipt of Government educational support of £5,000 or more per annum (this is other than maintenance grants or loans)

The Bursary will be allocated at the start of every year of your degree course, not just the first year and will be paid in instalments.

You will be considered automatically if you meet the criteria and will be contacted accordingly after enrolment. All offers are non-negotiable and one offer excludes all others (with the exception of Sports/Music Scholarships).

Important:  We must have your household income to allocate an award.

The allocation of bursaries takes place in the order that the University receives each applicant's financial information from the Student Loans Company.

Part-time students

Eligible part-time students paying more than £4,500 per annum and studying at more than 25% FTE will receive a pro-rata cash bursary.

Up to £3,600 cash over duration of study (£1,200 per academic year).


Students must:

  • be in care, or a care leaver, in the UK who is under 25 years of age and who is, or was, looked after under a Care Order when age 16 for at least 13 weeks (status must be verifiable);
  • have an income background below £25,000
  • not be in receipt of other Christ Church financial support.


  • be recognised by the Foyer Federation, or have otherwise been homeless; status must be verifiable.

For more information on support for those who are, or have been, in care see  www.canterbury.ac.uk/outreach 

Depending upon your chosen route, phase and subject of study you may be eligible for a bursary or a salary or you may be able to apply for a scholarship.

Scholarships of £25,000 are available in maths, physics, chemistry and computing to students with a 2:1 or first-class degree, who are passionate about their subject and have the potential to be inspirational teachers.

To encourage the best graduates to enter the teaching profession, bursaries of up to £25,000 are offered to students training to teach in applicable subjects and phases. You do not need to apply for a bursary – if you are accepted on to a non-salaried postgraduate course and meet the eligibility criteria you will receive information on the bursary prior to your enrolment on the programme.

For information about applying for a scholarship or to see the eligibility criteria and rates of the bursaries please visit DfE Funding for Postgraduate Teacher Training

Students studying on the School Direct (salaried) programme will be employed and paid a salary by their school. The salary rates will vary depending upon the location of your school and what you are training to teach. Students will be paid on the unqualified teacher pay scale and students training in maths , physics and computing can earn up to £25,000.

For further information about the funding for School Direct (salaried) please visit DfE Funding for Employment Based Training 

You could be eligible for a Sports scholarship if you are an elite level sports performer as judged by the Canterbury Christ Church University Sports Scholarships panel.


To apply you can be studying any subject, but you must be:

  • An undergraduate
  • Full time

More about the Sports Scholarships and find out how to apply.

Awarded to students in the Department of Music and Performing Arts.

General awards 

  • Up to £300, available to students on any of the Department’s programmes, and designed to help you develop your professional practice.
  • May include support for travel, masterclass fees, or workshop fees for specialist sessions and lessons outside the University.
  • Scholarships are awarded on a case-by-case basis throughout the academic year.

Entry scholarships

  • Worth £250, and a number are awarded each year tostudents entering the University.
  • They are designed to encourage you to seek professional experience in support of your University learning from the very start. In particular, they support keen ensemble performers (in any of the music and performing arts disciplines), and are there to kick-start your ability to seek performing and creative platforms in and around Canterbury and Kent.

Second instrument scholarships

  • Awarded to a number of Music students intheir first year of study.
  • These awards are worth £300, which pays for 10 hours of teaching with one of our specialist instrumental teachers on a second instrument.
  • Students are encouraged to apply for second instrument scholarships through audition in their first week on the BMus or BA Music programmes.

For more information, please email the Department of Music and Performing Arts directly.

Each year Christ Church offers at least four Choral Scholarships for the University Chapel Choir:

  • one on each voice part (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass; note that countertenors and contraltos are equally welcome)
  • one Organ/Conducting scholarship.
  • Choral Scholarships are worth £800 per annum
  • Organ/Conducting scholarships are worth £1,000 per annum

All are awarded by annual audition.

Find out more about the Choral Scholarship and the application forms. 

Higher Education is free at the point of entry and if you’re full time, you can get help with living costs too!

Find out more

The government, via the Student Loans Company, offers loans and grants to cover your Tuition Fees and assist with your living expenses while you are studying. Tuition loans are available to full- and part-time students. Maintenance Loans and Grants are currently only available to full time Home students.

In this section you will find details of:

  • Tuition Fee Loan
  • Maintenance Loan (living cost loan)
  • Maintenance Grants
  • How much living expenses you could get
  • Paying it back
  • Where to find more information

Tuition Fee Loan

If you're a full-time or part-time student (if the latter studying at 25% intensity) ordinarily resident in England, or an EU student, studying for your first degree or other higher education course you can get a government loan that will completely cover your tuition fees.

Key Facts

  • You don't have to wait until you've been formally offered a place at university before applying for your tuition fee loan, and you don't have to have your loan approved before you can start your course.
  • You can log back in and change your course or university details on your finance application if you want / need to before enrolment
  • We advise you to apply as early as possible so your finance is in place when your course begins.
  • Applications for Student Finance open after the New Year (for new students)
  • Continuing students also have to reapply for each year of finance

Visit the Gov.uk website to apply now.

Maintenance Loan (living cost loan)

You'll also see a Maintenance Loan referred to as a 'living cost loan'.

If you're a full-time Home student you can apply for a maintenance loan. This is a loan available to help you with the day-to-day costs of going to university (a place to live, food, travel and course materials, for example). The amount you can borrow depends on where you live and study and your household income. You can apply for your maintenance loan when you apply for your tuition loan.

Maintenance Grants

You will also see grants as 'non-repayable finances'.

If you are a full-time Home student you can also apply for a maintenance grant. If your household income is under £25,000 per annum you could be entitled to up to £3,387. If your family income is between £25,000 and £42,620 you could be entitled to a partial grant.

  • Household income   - The amount you could get as a maintenance grant or maintenance loan depends on your family income, whether you are living at home whilst studying and where you live.

How much could I get?

Figures in the table below refer to students living away from home and studying outside of London and are based on the latest data for 2014/15 entry.

NB: The package of support differs if you're living at home and studying outside of London. For more information see Gov.uk.

2014/15 Entry
Income (£)  Maintenance Grant (£)  Loan for living cost (£) Total Grant plus Loan (£) 
Student studying outside London    (Max Loan £5,555*)
£25,000 £3,387 £3,862 £7,249
£30,000 £2,441 £4,335 £6,776
£35,000 £1,494 £4,808 £6,302
£40,000 £547 £5,282 £5,829
£42,620 £50 £5,530 £5,580
£42,875 £0 £5,555 £5,555
£45,000 £0 £5,341 £5,341
£55,000 £0 £4,331 £4,311
£65,000+ £0 £3,610 £3,610
*65% of loan is non-income assessed

Paying it back

  • You only repay 9% of your gross income (i.e. before tax or other deductions) above £21k.
    • For example, if you are earning £25k a year you’d pay back £6.92 per week. (This is worked out as follows: £25,000 - £21,000 = £4,000. You will only pay back anything (9%) on earnings over £21,000: 9% of £4,000 is £360. So you would have to pay back £360 per year. Divide this by 12 and it amounts to £30 per month or by 52 and it is £6.92 per week).
  • Payments will be taken directly from your salary via the tax system (or through the self-assessment process if self-employed).
  • If your income later drops below £21k you will stop repaying until it increases again
  • If you haven’t paid off the whole debt 30 years after graduating, anything remaining will be written off by the Government

You do pay interest on your loan up to the rate of inflation plus 3%, but this does not affect the way you pay it back.

More information

The following websites can help you learn more about student finance:

Awards of up to £1,000 per year for students experiencing extreme financial hardship.

Awarded on a case by case basis depending on individual circumstance. Students must meet the standard university eligibility.

Applications are made directly to the University.

NHS bursaries are available for most of our health and social care professional undergraduate courses.

To find out more about the bursary and eligibility visit the NHS bursaries web pages. 

For details of bursaries currently available for BA Social Work and MA Social Work visit the Government's website for information packs.

Bursary holders will receive an award of £1,500 over the three years of their study (£500 per annum).


Bursaries are available to students who:

  • Attend school or college in Thanet, Dover or Shepway;
  • Are engaged in the UCAS application process, applying to begin their first year of university study on one of the courses taught at the Broadstairs Campus in 2015.

View our guidance and elligibility criteria.

Applicants must make a firm acceptance of an offer made to them by the University before 14 July in the year of entry.

All applicants will be required to participate in paid University outreach activities to promote higher education to students who might not otherwise access higher education, acting as student ambassadors to support links with schools and colleges in Thanet and East Kent. 

Apply now. 

Other Government support

  • Disabled Students’ Allowance
  • Childcare Grant (full-time students only)
  • Parents’ Learning Allowance (full-time students only)
  • Adult Dependants’ Grant (full-time students only)

For more information on any of the above  see Gov.uk.

Access to Learning Fund (for current students)

Our Student Health and Wellbeing team provides access to a range of advice and support including the  Access to Learning Fund for current students experiencing financial difficulties.

Further Financial Support

On gaining a place in Higher Education, many students may wish to find part-time employment to supplement their income whilst studying. The University has a Job Shop which enables students to find local employment opportunities.

There are also a number of other sources of funding that may be available to some students subject to application. For more information, visit the National Students’ Union website.

More Information

Article 26 Award – for those seeking asylum in the UK

Canterbury Christ Church University offers a 100% tuition fee waiver* and an annual £1000.00 bursary** to assist with study and travel expenses to one student per year who is:

  • seeking asylum in the UK, or a dependant or partner of someone seeking asylum
  • seeking asylum in the UK, or a dependant or partner of someone seeking asylum who has been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain or some other form of temporary status

Please note: Spouses/civil partners must have been the spouse/civil partner on the date which the asylum application was made. Children/step-children must have been aged under 18 on the date on which the asylum application was made.

*The fee waiver is not payable for repeat years of study.

**The bursary is not means-tested and is paid directly into the student’s bank account in three termly instalments (Term 1 = £250; Term 2 = £250; Term 3 = £500). The bursary is not payable for repeat years of study.

Applicants must:

  • have been offered a place (conditional or unconditional) on an undergraduate programme at the University   before   applying for the Award
  • by virtue of their immigration status, be unable to access statutory student support (tuition fee loans or maintenance loans/grants)
  • be able to provide evidence that they sought asylum on arrival in the UK and that their asylum application is under consideration by the Home Office

Priority will be given to applicants who live within easy commuting distance of Canterbury Christ Church University.

The Award is payable each academic year of the course (not for repeat years of study). This is unless, as a result of an asylum application, you (or your parents or spouse/civil partner) are granted indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK. If this happens, you must inform the University and the Award (both tuition fee waiver and bursary) will cease from the start of the next academic year. At this point, you are expected to apply for statutory student support instead.


Last edited: 30/06/2016 05:58:00