The Computing Subject Knowledge Enhancement course, through a blend of self-directed learning and online tutorials, aims to:
- Refresh, consolidate and improve subject knowledge;
- Develop computational thinking;
- Develop an awareness of a specialist subject in real-life contexts;
- Promote and develop independent learning skills, improve meta-cognitive skills and develop your ability to identify and address your own learning needs
The course will cover the full requirements for the National Curriculum Programme of Study in Computing from Key Stages 3-4, introducing you to the requirements for Key Stage 5. Wherever possible, all material encountered is linked to good classroom practice and appropriate pedagogy.
Programming and programming techniques are the core of the new curriculum; however, you will also gain a deeper understanding of the tools and techniques that encapsulate the main tenets of computer science:
- Computational thinking
- Algorithmic thinking
- The place of computing in the 21st century workplace
- The impact of design and creative decisions.
Sample Course material
How the course works
All course content is accessed online through the University’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and consists of the following:
- An initial audit to help you plan the areas of study on which you wish to focus. This also provides a baseline from which to measure your progress.
- Online, regular ‘Live’ tutorials with the subject tutor at fixed times during the week.
- Online ‘on-demand’ sessions, resources and associated tasks that can be accessed at any time.
- An online e-Portfolio where you collect the evidence of your work, assessed by the tutor at the end of the course.
- A final audit which will demonstrate the progress you have made at the end of the course.
The on-demand material is supported by the online tutorials which use a problem-solving approach and ideas and concepts are revisited throughout the course. These weekly video conferences are scheduled in groups with a tutor who is an experienced specialist in the subject.
You will need a headset with an inbuilt microphone and USB connection to enable you to participate fully in the live tutorials.