We offer NVivo as a free software download to all of our currently registered students.
You must have administrator permissions for the computer on which you are installing the software.
If you currently have our free version of NVivo 10 installed on your machine, we recommend uninstalling and installing the updated version 11 below.
To install NVivo
- Locate and double-click the file you downloaded. The installation process starts automatically.
- Follow the prompts to:
- Install any prerequisite components. You may be asked to restart your computer – on restart the installation will continue automatically.
- Accept the NVivo license agreement.
- Confirm the location of NVivo program files and choose to include the NVivo icon on your desktop.
- (Optional) Choose to install NCapture and accept the NCapture license agreement – NCapture is a browser extension that allows you to gather material from the web
- Click Install and the installation confirmation is displayed.
- Click Finish.
If you work with audio and video files, you may need to install additional codecs – for more information, refer to the FAQ section of the QSR website.
If you have difficulties installing NVivo, check the installation tips on the QSR website.
These download files contain 'readme' and 'Getting Started' documents, as well as the required licence code.
Updating an expired licence
To update the licence of an existing installation of NVivo 11, please follow these simple steps:
- Download the NVivo 11 Licence Key.
- Enter the new Licence Key when prompted by the software.
To find which Windows system type you have press "Windows" + "Pause/Break" on your keyboard.
You can find your system type listed roughtly half way down the page:
You can also find this window by opening Control Panel > Systems and Security > System.