Evidence-based Extension Request
This type of request is available to students who encounter unexpected short-term challenges that impact their ability to complete an assessment, and have supporting evidence.
If you would like to make an Evidence-based Extension request, you can use it to ask for:
- A 7 day extension to your coursework deadline,
- A 14 day extension to your coursework deadline,
- The chance to take your examination or time-specific assessment at the next available opportunity.
You must provide appropriate supporting professional evidence with your form; if you submit your form without evidence, it will be declined.
For further guidance please see the following FAQs:
You must submit your request no more than 7 days after, or 14 days before your assessment deadline or date. We advise that you make your request before the deadline if possible.
If you submit this request late you must include your reason for lateness, and be aware that your request may not be approved.
Criteria for Making an Evidence-Based Extension Request
This type of request is intended for circumstances that are short-term and have affected you for no more than a few weeks. If your issue lasts for an extended period of time, please contact your Programme Team or a Student Health & Wellbeing Adviser for advice about which support procedure is best for your circumstances.
To make this request, your situation must be:
- exceptional (i.e. beyond the normal challenges faced by students);
- unexpected (i.e. you could not have anticipated it); and
- beyond your control.
To check if your reason for request is acceptable under the University’s procedures please read the following:
For further advice on whether you are eligable to make a request, speak to your Programme Team or a Student Health & Wellbeing Adviser.
An extension or chance to take your examination or time-specific assessment is not an automatic right. For your request to be approved you must have an acceptable reason, apply on time and provide appropriate professional evidence with your request.
Important Information to Know Before You Make Your Request
For coursework, it is important to continue with your work and submit it as soon as you can and do not wait for a response because:
- If your request is approved, the new submission date will normally be 7 or 14 days from your original deadline, not from the date you receive the decision. If you submit after the new deadline you have been given, your work will be subject to late penalties (as normal).
- If your request is not approved, submitting your work as soon as possible will minimise the late penalty you receive if you submit after your deadline.
To make sure this is the right type of Extenuating Circumstance request for you, please see the following guidance:
Completing the Request Form
You will need to complete the word form below, and ensure you submit it with your supporting professional evidence within 7 days of your assessment deadline or date.
To complete this form, you will need:
- Your student ID number (this can be found on your Smartcard)
- All relevant module titles and codes (module codes start with the letter 'M' and are a maximum of 9 digits in length; these can be found on the Module Blackboard or in your Programme Handbook)
- Your assessment deadline(s) or date(s)
You should submit this form by email to the following location, depending on the Faculty in which your programme sits:
- Faculty of Arts & Humanities: To your Programme’s Administrator
- Faculty of Education: To your Programme’s Administrator
- Faculty of Health & Wellbeing: To email@example.com
- Faculty of Social & Applied Sciences: To your Programme’s Administrator
If you are a combined honours student you should send your form to the administrators for each subject. If you are unsure where to send your form, please check your module blackboard, Programme Handbook or ask the i-zone.
Download Evidenced-Based Extensions Request Form