Changes to study

During your studies you may wish to request a change to your academic circumstances. It is very important that you advise us of any change to ensure that your formal student records are completely accurate and up-to-date, and you can access the access the appropriate resources and support.

Changing your mode of attendance allows you to move from full time to part time study or vice versa. There may be financial implications relating to your change.

For further information please visit for further information:

Alternatively, contact the or by telephone on 01227 922 222

Deadlines for requests to change module for those programmes delivered in semesters are:

  • Friday 6th October 2017 (Semester 1 modules)
  • Friday 9th February 2018 (Semester 2 modules).

If you are looking to change modules it is important that you read the following information:

  • Any requests to change after this date will only be considered if there are exceptional circumstances and will be reviewed by a case by case basis by your Programme Director.
  • You will need to provide information relating to your exceptional circumstances otherwise your request will not be able to be reviewed. Please provide this information in the “Reason for Change” page in the “Further Information” box.
  • Even if your Programme Director has agreed your request in principle, module changes are not guaranteed, there are many reasons why they may be refused such as student numbers, timetabling clashes, health and safety and not meeting curriculum requirements. 

Not all programmes allow module changes, so please check with your Programme Director/School Office.


Changing your Programme

Where there is a difference in tuition fees between programmes, the fees for the new programme become payable once the application for transfer is approved and your student record has been updated. Where a refund is due, it will be payable once the transfer is approved and your student record has been updated. If you are transferring to start a new programme from the beginning and you intend to apply for Student Finance Funding, please ensure that you check the maximum number of years for which you will be entitled to student funding. Please also be aware that you may be eligible to pay some or all of the tuition fee due for the original programme you were studying.  This will depend on the date of your transfer.

Changing your Pathway

This may be an option if you have programme has pathways or if you are on a Programme with study abroad.  Please choose this if you are looking to add a year abroad or placement year to your programme.  This applies to students who are adding a year abroad or placement/year in industry to their programme.

The deadline for requests to change Programme/Pathway is: Friday 6th October 2017. Programme/Pathway changes for your current level of study can only take place in Semester 1. You should always discuss your options with your Programme Team.

This is sometimes referred to as interruption.  If you wish to take a break from your studies, you will still be a registered student of the University and will be subject to University requirements, including any disciplinary procedures. There is no right to the payment of any bursaries and loans or access to any resources of the University, except for the following:

  • usage of the Library will continue as normal unless you fully withdraw from study at the University
  • access to your computer accounts
  • access to student support services
  • research students who will have access to all University systems and facilities except for supervision.

Please note that if you are a student on Tier 4 of the Points Based Visa System, you are required by the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) service to return to your home country if you take a break from your studies.  The University reserves the right to refuse to issue a further Confirmation of Acceptance of Study (CAS) if you breach UKVI rules by remaining within the United Kingdom during any break period.

Please note the following:

Before submitting a request to take a break, please ensure you have read the section of your student handbook, entitled, The Legal Stuff” – What are my financial obligations?

The University will update your student records to show your interruption from the future date you indicate on the form or if no date is added then the submission date of your request.  This date will be used to work out your tuition fee liability and your student funding; please ensure that you fully understand the financial implications of your request before making your final decision. 

An interruption is for a maximum of one calendar year or, exceptionally, to the start of the one further academic year.  Please note that you will also be required to pay tuition fees for the academic year in which your return. . The tuition fee due will depend on the date on which you return and fees may be due even if you are only returning to sit exams.  Please ensure that you fully understand the financial implications of your request before making your final decision.

If you need further support , please access our Student Support and Wellbeing Advisers by calling 01227 922675 or emailing .

This is sometimes referred to as withdrawing from the University. 

Financial Implications

There may be financial implications relating to your change for further information please view the following documents (PDF):

Your Fees, Your Responsibilities: Guidance for Home and EU Students 2017/18

Your Fees, Your Responsibilities: Guidance for International Students 2017/18

Important information for students in University named accommodation

If you are currently University named accommodation, please note the following

  • You must provide a letter from your academic department confirming your withdrawal and the date of withdrawal. This must be given to the accommodation team. You can send this by email to
  • You will still have to pay rent due to date, plus 4 weeks rent after the date you notify the accommodation team (unless a replacement student can move in earlier)
  • You may incur a charge for room cleaning and/or damage if your room is left in an unacceptable condition.

There may be financial implications relating to your change for further information please visit for further information:


Why have we changed from COAC to Changes to Study?

During a review of the process, the project team sought guidance from current students regarding the terminology used.  The overwhelming feedback was that the previous “COAC” terminology was not student friendly and therefore the new terms will be as listed below, we hope that the new terminology will help students to correctly pick the change that is relevant to them.

New Terminology (Sept 2016 onwards) Previous Terminology 
 Changing programme/pathway  Request to change programme/pathway
 Changing modules  Request to change modules
 Changing mode of attendance  Request to change mode of attendance
 Taking a break  Request to interrupt study
 Leaving the university  Request to withdraw from study

How do I Complete a Change to Study Request?

Many of the changes may require you to seek advice from others areas of the University, it is important that this is done before any request is made. This may include:

  • Finance,
  • Student Support, Health and Wellbeing,
  • Accommodation,
  • Career Development

Before completing any request, it is important that you seek advice from your Programme Director or Personal Academic Tutor.  You will be asked to name who you have spoken to when you complete the online Changes to Study request.

Changes to Study - Key Steps

Visit the portal and click on the “Changes to Study tile”.  You will be asked to complete a number of fields so please have all your information to hand.

  • Once you have submitted your request, you will receive an automatic email from the portal to let you know that your request has been submitted. 
  • You will then receive the following communications from your school whilst your request is being processed
    • One email to let you know that your request has been approved or rejected (this should be approximately 5 working days after your request has been submitted)
    • If approved, an email to let you know your timetable has been updated to reflect the change, this will be visible to you within 48 hours (this should be expected approximately 15 working days after your request has been submitted)
    • Please note that at busy times of year, especially October the second email may take a little longer

Please note: If you haven’t heard anything within 7 working days, please contact your Programme Administrator. 

Additional Support Available

If you are considering a change to your studies, there may be other options available to you, before you complete a Change To Study request. To talk through your circumstances and to make sure you are making the right decision, contact the student support and wellbeing advisers.

Contact us

  • Tel: 01843 609888 (Broadstairs)
  • Tel: 01227 922222 (Canterbury)
  • Tel: 01634 894444 (Medway)


Connect with us

Last edited: 10/11/2017 09:08:00