This type of request is designed for issues of a very short-term nature (i.e. affecting you for no more than a week) which occur just before, or at the time of your assessment deadline.
You therefore need to submit the request:
- No more than 14 days before your assessment deadline and
- No later than the assessment deadline or date.
This type of request can only be approved on two occasions per academic year for an acceptable reason.
If you have already made two requests in a year or you have passed the assessment deadline you may need to consider submitting an Evidenced-Based Extension Request.
Acceptable reasons for making a Self-Certification request are:
- Short term illness e.g. flu, gastroenteritis, serious emergency dental problem
- Recent bereavement or exceptional and unexpected caring responsibilities (e.g. illness of child, parent, sibling, spouse or partner)
- Exceptional family crisis (e.g. major illness of relative or partner, divorce or separation)
- An unexpected issue related to pregnancy, maternity or paternity
- Serious or significant personal incident (e.g. house fire, homelessness, unexpected house move, direct experience of natural disaster)
If your reason is not listed above, you should speak to your Programme Team as soon as possible for advice. Please also read: Reasons for which Extenuating Circumstances (of any type) cannot be approved.