Periodic Programme Review
The Periodic Programme Review Process involves the review of each programme of study in the sixth year of operation of the programme. It focuses on whether threshold academic standards are being maintained and whether the programme provides a good student experience and is fit for purpose.
The Review Panel makes a recommendation to the Education and Student Experience Committee and then the Academic Board regarding the reapproval of the programme.
QSO convenes a meeting of the Periodic Programme Review Panel. An External Assessor will be nominated by the Programme Team to participate in the Periodic Programme Review Panel meeting through attendance at the panel meeting. The Periodic Programme Review Panel will consider the programme briefing paper, the supporting documentation and meet with current students, other stakeholders (where relevant) and the programme team before making a recommendation to Academic Board.
QSO runs a large number of validations and reviews each year. For availability and to book your review please contact Maria Krupa (Faculties of Arts & Humanities and Social & Applied Sciences) or Lauren Smyth (Faculties of Education and Health & Wellbeing)” in the first instance.
Preparing for Review
During the Summer period, QSO will identify the programmes due for Periodic Programme Review in the following year. QSO will liaise with Faculty Directors of Quality regarding this, who in turn will contact Programme Directors.
If you are preparing for a periodic programme review and would like to discuss any aspect of the review process or documentation with QSO staff, we would be happy to meet with you. Please contact Maria Krupa (Faculties of Arts & Humanities and Social & Applied Sciences) or Lauren Smyth (Faculties of Education and Health & Wellbeing)” in the first instance.
In preparation for a Periodic Programme Review, the following will be helpful:
Where you are using the review process to propose changes to your programme, you may also find the guidance information on programme design on the Programme Validation website helpful.
The nomination for an External Assessor and an External Advisor should be made at the earliest possible opportunity and at the latest 12 weeks prior to the periodic programme review panel meeting. It should be noted that it is a requirement of the process that the External Assessor MUST attend the Periodic Programme Review Panel Meeting.
Core Periodic Programme Review Documentation
Core periodic programme review documentation will consist of the following:
- Programme Briefing Paper [Template]
- Annual Programme Reviews and associated documentation for all years of operation since the last periodic review, including annual review action plans, external examiner reports and responses, programme and completion summary data and NSS/USS scores
- the existing programme specification
- the proposed programme specification – please ensure this is on the up-to-date Programme Specification [Template]
- a list of minor modifications approved
- First destination data (for the last two years of operation)
- Minutes of programme boards, where these are available (for the last two years of operation)
- Minutes of student-staff liaison meetings (for the last two years of operation)
- The existing collaborative agreement (for collaborative programmes)
- The existing student handbook, and a sample of core module handbooks (where these are available)
- Annual partnership review meeting minutes (for all years of operation since the last review)
A checklist is provided to support you in collating the documentation. Your documentation is due 6 weeks before the periodic programme review meeting.